cutlass b

hi all anyone done a cutlass bearing i have the boat coming out of the water next month on the next spring tide  i am going to try and make a puller to see if i can rmove it that way if not i think i will have to cut it out any other ideas please on doing it thanks daio

yes mate got to pull shaft aswell hope i dont have to get one made i priced up the lengh of bar  my mate works in a big machine shop so he be able to make the same again  not even looking forward to bloody measuring it 

What type of cutlass is it? Some are rubber some are brass I believe? 
Rubber one is easy, the hard part is getting your prop off, that’s assuming that you’re not planing on removing the shaft and anal gland. 

Just now, daio web said:

its the brass one jon i just made a prop puller today then i will have to realgn all the engine again  boats hey great when there going until theres a problem 

So you need to remove the whole shaft? 
I was told to score a line with a thin grinder blade so to know where to re fit, though I’ve never needed to remove mine. 

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

So you need to remove the whole shaft? 
I was told to score a line with a thin grinder blade so to know where to re fit, though I’ve never needed to remove mine. 

Have you replaced your cutlass bearing ?

6 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Have you replaced your cutlass bearing ?

I’ve done mine a couple of times, they cost about £20 so it’s something that’s worth doing if you’re taking the prop off. 
The first time I did it was after I fouled my prop, I had to get my prop refurbished and there was play in the shaft. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

I’ve done mine a couple of times, they cost about £20 so it’s something that’s worth doing if you’re taking the prop off. 
The first time I did it was after I fouled my prop, I had to get my prop refurbished and there was play in the shaft. 

How did you get the old bearing out without taking the shaft out

50 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

How did you get the old bearing out without taking the shaft out

The rubber version just pulls off, if you can get a pair of pliers on it . There are two nylon screws that need removing that are usually painted over. When we did @KennyPowers 210 there was nothing to get hold of so he used a flat kebab skewer with a barb cut into it ti dig it out. 
I have no experience with the brass version, not sure what you have?

IMG_1980.png

12 hours ago, JonC said:

The rubber version just pulls off, if you can get a pair of pliers on it . There are two nylon screws that need removing that are usually painted over. When we did @KennyPowers 210 there was nothing to get hold of so he used a flat kebab skewer with a barb cut into it ti dig it out. 
I have no experience with the brass version, not sure what you have?

IMG_1980.png

Mine is the rubber type, had a quick go at it the last time the boat was out, but didn't want to mark the shift

Will try the skewer method when she comes out next 👍

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Mine is the rubber type, had a quick go at it the last time the boat was out, but didn't want to mark the shift

Will try the skewer method when she comes out next 👍

Alternatively you may be able to slacken stern gland and slide towards the gearbox then use a flat rod to push it out a bit?