Auto Pilot?

Who has one and uses it? If you do use it do you use it just in the quick to hold your heading or do you track a route from your plotter?

I only ever press auto and stay on target but I’m considering buying a new plotter and am wondering if it’s worth worrying about linking the systems . 

I have and use one all the time.  Mostly point and shoot however that is no good if your going any distance across tide or with lots of beam on wind as it will only keep the nose pointing in the direction you set and not allow for any of the interfering stuff.  For longer journeys you should set up a course, the ap will then keep you on the correct course amending the heading to suit your route.  I have all Raymarine kit on my boat which are all linked together, 2 plotters, AP, tablet.  When planning a route you can put in the start and end way points and the machine will automatically plan the route but beware, you should always check the route it has set before starting off.  The other plus is it will steer a far straighter course than we ever could thereby saving fuel....allegedly  

37 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I have and use one all the time.  Mostly point and shoot however that is no good if your going any distance across tide or with lots of beam on wind as it will only keep the nose pointing in the direction you set and not allow for any of the interfering stuff.  For longer journeys you should set up a course, the ap will then keep you on the correct course amending the heading to suit your route.  I have all Raymarine kit on my boat which are all linked together, 2 plotters, AP, tablet.  When planning a route you can put in the start and end way points and the machine will automatically plan the route but beware, you should always check the route it has set before starting off.  The other plus is it will steer a far straighter course than we ever could thereby saving fuel....allegedly  

Thanks, I thought you would have the techas on this.