Spot search light

Guys and gals, I'm in the market for a spot light to stick on my ever growing 'stainless tree' atop my radar arch.

I have had a look around and come across one of these https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?BOATS-SPOT-SEARCH-LIGHT-12-VOLT-RAIL-MOUNT&p=0000005750 from SeaScrew. The sort of thing I can mount onto 1" tubing that is removeable with a coily cable if and when necessary.

Has anyone got one of these or if not anything similar they could recommend for a similar price, circa £110?

As aside question, do peeps even recommend having something like this for coming into a mooring in the dark or is one better off just using 'le light au naturel'... ie do you really need a spotlight?

Cheers, Gary

Edit: just thought, these are probably really easy to nick.....😐

11 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Guys and gals, I'm in the market for a spot light to stick on my ever growing 'stainless tree' atop my radar arch.

I have had a look around and come across one of these https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?BOATS-SPOT-SEARCH-LIGHT-12-VOLT-RAIL-MOUNT&p=0000005750 from SeaScrew. The sort of thing I can mount onto 1" tubing that is removeable with a coily cable if and when necessary.

Has anyone got one of these or if not anything similar they could recommend for a similar price, circa £110?

As aside question, do peeps even recommend having something like this for coming into a mooring in the dark or is one better off just using 'le light au naturel'... ie do you really need a spotlight?

Cheers, Gary

Edit: just thought, these are probably really easy to nick.....😐

I suppose it depends on where you moor and the quality of the marina. Most decent marinas will have lights on the main pontoon to give some guidance. Mine does, and then I just follow the track on the plotter back to the pontoon. I have a high powered torch and a head light should I need it. Nothing wrong with a spot light though. Personal choice I reckon. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

I suppose it depends on where you moor and the quality of the marina. Most decent marinas will have lights on the main pontoon to give some guidance. Mine does, and then I just follow the track on the plotter back to the pontoon. I have a high powered torch and a head light should I need it. Nothing wrong with a spot light though. Personal choice I reckon. 

Marina 😂 what's one of those?

Fore and aft on the Teign, deadly fast current at times and defo no other light around. I know human sight is 'reasonably' good at night dependant of course as to the conditions so one of my questions is, do I really need to light my way or can I do it au naturel? and, is there any other benefits to having a spot light, bearing in mind I plan to night fish next year? Would my work lights for the deck be sufficient? 

I also have a headlight...

11 minutes ago, JonC said:

The problem with high powered lights is that they bounce back at you off your pulpit and foredeck, making things worse.

not sure my boat's big enough to worry about that but I appreciate what you're saying... I can mount it quite high and have it pointing down to one side to light the buoys up, I think.

58 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Marina 😂 what's one of those?

Fore and aft on the Teign, deadly fast current at times and defo no other light around. I know human sight is 'reasonably' good at night dependant of course as to the conditions so one of my questions is, do I really need to light my way or can I do it au naturel? and, is there any other benefits to having a spot light, bearing in mind I plan to night fish next year? Would my work lights for the deck be sufficient? 

I also have a headlight...

I’d probably want one then if I moored like that.