Hedging plants

Malc

I am looking to put in a hedge for privacy in a small section of our garden that borders the roadway to give us more space, 9-10m in length and approximately 1.5-1.75m height and not too thick, say 50cm.

So far I have looked at privet and Cherry Laurel as they say they are fairly quick growing 30-60cm/year so probably 20cm in reality. As there is a small retaining wall, knee height, I don't want something that will damage the wall or the foundations/path. 

I am thinking of getting root ball rather than bare rooted and 1-1.25m height. 

Has anyone any experience of putting in a hedge or does landscape gardening or enjoys gardening as a hobby? We have box to the front of the house with privet and that easily kept but apart from clipping it I know nowt.

Cheers in advance 👍 

Edited by Malc

We've just put in a front hedge of root-balled cherry laurel. 5-6ft plants spaced about 1 plant per metre. They look good and should form a nice, dense hedge by the summertime. Only issue we've had so far is the root-balls act like a ball and socket joint in the planting holes and let the plants swivel over in the high winds we've had here lately. I've had to brace the plants with 2x4's to keep them upright until the roots take hold.

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

...root-balled cherry laurel...

Where did you get them from, I'm looking at different suppliers and some people give rave reviews others not so, mainly to do with dried out plants and poor after sales.

We got them through a landscaper but according to the tag that was left on one of the plants they were grown and supplied by Dingle Nurseries, Welshpool, Powys. 01938 552587.

The plants seem hardy enough and arrived in decent condition. Time will tell if they survive the planting and high winds.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Where did you get them from, I'm looking at different suppliers and some people give rave reviews others not so, mainly to do with dried out plants and poor after sales.

dont forget  he has servents to look after his estate🤣