Is this worth it?

I would say it's pretty much on it's top money at quite a bit over half new, bearing in mind new has 7 year warranty.

My only concern would be he doesn't know how old it actually is and doesn't look like there's a makers plate on the transom bracket, in fact that entire side seems to have avoided the camera

Being a short shaft would make it quite limited as well

Yes that sticker should include serial number and tear of manufacture, odd he says he's told it's around 10 years old.

Go have a look, I would try and knock him to £500 or even lower as warranty etc will have expired. Play on impellors go hard and brittle if not used regularly, ask to see service receipts yada yada, I'm sure you know the drill....

I would be seriously tempted to stump up another £400 and have a new one......

https://www.cambridgeoutboards.co.uk/acatalog/5HP-Tohatsu-MFS5D-58.html#SID=97

Just spoke to the guy, no service history, not been run for a couple of years under load. So I jogged it on. 
Now you e got me thinking about new, didn’t want to spend a grand tbh but I suppose I’ll have a Mercury 3.5hp to sell and get some back. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Just spoke to the guy, no service history, not been run for a couple of years under load. So I jogged it on. 
Now you e got me thinking about new, didn’t want to spend a grand tbh but I suppose I’ll have a Mercury 3.5hp to sell and get some back. 

It makes sense. second hand stuff is seriously overpriced at the moment, which is good if you are a seller. I saw one guy trying to sell a mariner 5 year old 3.5 for £50 more than new not long back, and got right arsey when I asked what the price was meant to be......