Poor weather

JDP

So with poor weather we decided to head inland, up into the mountains for a few trout. Just three hours drive had us up in the frosty snowy mountains, with a little snow still on the mountain tops. A couple of hours sleep in the swags before a 4am rise and shake off the ice!!!! Just before sunrise my daughter managed a nice little rainbow which was soon released as we hiked further upstream. A mix of small brown and rainbows with a few better ones up to 4-5lb were the order of the day and a first for us was a brook trout which according to everyone we've spoken with aren't found there!!! Kept three fish for the smoker and headed back to the coast for some warmer weather, funny how you can have 26-27'c on the coast and a max of 9'c durning the warmest part of the day in the mountains.

With a mix of wind and swell we've only managed three trips offshore this week but those have certainly been action packed. Tuna and albacore have been just about everywhere once you get 40k offshore. They are taking anything you throw or drop at them. The fish aren't big with most in the 10-20kg which are great fun on 10kg outfits. The tuna, both southern bluefin and yellowfin have been in incredible numbers now for months and to top it off the yellowtail kingfish have turned up in big numbers closer inshore. 

Back to wind and rain again today, great opportunity to grind some coffee and make a few flat whites. 

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Tuna and albacore have been just about everywhere once you get 40k offshore.

That is about 20Nm.............

I fish wrecks at that distance on 'flat' days, but only to find larger Pollock to 5kg, John dory, Bass, Ling in the deeper water,  and maybe, just maybe an elusive Cod or wreck Bass (Stone Bass)

However, it is only a matter of time before we see Atlantic albacore (Long Fin Tuna) here in numbers. There are a few caught every year, but only small juveniles in amongst the Mackerel shoals.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That is about 20Nm.............

I fish wrecks at that distance on 'flat' days, but only to find larger Pollock to 5kg, John dory, Bass, Ling in the deeper water,  and maybe, just maybe an elusive Cod or wreck Bass (Stone Bass)

However, it is only a matter of time before we see Atlantic albacore (Long Fin Tuna) here in numbers. There are a few caught every year, but only small juveniles in amongst the Mackerel shoals.

Its surprising how far we have to travel in many parts of the country to get to decent reefs. When I head up to QLD many of the Barrier reef areas are 90k offshore. This is why you see so many small boats with deep V hulls and big fast engines, to get there and back and still have time to fish. I remember my wrecking days from the IOW taking major planning around the weather and tide and a long boring trip for a short amount of fishing.

3 minutes ago, JDP said:

This is why you see so many small boats with deep V hulls and big fast engines, to get there and back and still have time to fish. I remember my wrecking days from the IOW taking major planning around the weather and tide and a long boring trip for a short amount of fishing.

This is one of the reasons why I went for the deep Vee Ribcraft. I only need a short weather window to get quickly out to the wrecks, have a couple of hours fishing, and then get safely back in again. This is the style of fishing that  I prefer to do.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

This is one of the reasons why I went for the deep Vee Ribcraft. I only need a short weather window to get quickly out to the wrecks, have a couple of hours fishing, and then get safely back in again. This is the style of fishing that  I prefer to do.

Great boats and so much fun to drive.