A question of tides

I'm just getting my head together for a trip this summer and looking on tides 4 fishing it gives all the blurb, high and low times and heights but also gives coefficient of 79-83 for the day. 

Looking on navionics there is an arrow and it says "SP 3KN" I presume spring tide will be around 3kn and using the coefficient gives 2.4 ish for that day. Is that correct or have I missed something?

Most of the time I only need the tide times in my area but this is way out west and I don't want to make a pratt of myself. 

Many thanks 

Edited by Malc

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm just getting my head together for a trip this summer and looking on tides 4 fishing it gives all the blurb, high and low times and heights but also gives coefficient of 79-83 for the day. 

Looking on navionics there is an arrow and it says "SP 3KN" I presume spring tide will be around 3kn and using the coefficient gives 2.4 ish for that day. Is that correct or have I missed something?

Most of the time I only need the tide times in my area but this is way out west and I don't want to make a pratt of myself. 

Can’t help you as it’s gone over my head. @GPSgurulikes that sort of thing. 

That seems right @Malc. I rarely use the tidal current arrows on my plotters but when I looked into them a few years ago I seem to remember they were as you indicated. Estimated direction of flow and speed in kts.

One thing to bear in mind - I believe that Navionics will show the tidal speed at the current time. You may have to dive into the plotter settings (or Boating App settings) to find the current icon you want then select which time/day you want to see the direction and speed for. So, that 3kts may be today's speed and not necessarily the speed forecast for your trip.

22 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So, that 3kts may be today's speed and not necessarily the speed forecast for your trip.

I think it is a constant as I have seen it before, I was using navi Web app on my phone. 

11 minutes ago, Malc said:

I think it is a constant as I have seen it before, I was using navi Web app on my phone. 

Here's an example of how a mobile view of currents appears on the Navionics Boating App (the paid-for version of the free Navionics Web App). It should show current speed and direction per hour. Do you have a view like this?

vxhxS4z.jpg

The regular web app version has dynamic tidal current info too. Example screenshots below, taken 5 mins apart, showing how the current speed changes with time from 2.2kts to 2.3kts.

GZY7jGy.jpg

8Bq1bpf.jpg

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

Got a screenshot...

Screenshot_20220428-153742_Chrome.thumb.jpg.49d52a9758e9964142b54cdda5750a4d.jpg

Hmmm, wonder if that's an old, static version of tidal currents, perhaps showing maximum possible flow.

Is there a little C in a box nearby you can click on, like in the image below? These give dynamic current info.

ZUEGs3H.jpg

Think I have got there. I am using the online navi Web app not the actual app as I found a box with a C in but miles away. However there was a box with a T in it and when I clicked, like you do on the wrecks, the box comes up but doesn't give me weather or tide strength info etc but did give the present tide height and says it is only available on the app. 

9 hours ago, Malc said:

Many thanks 

@Andy135 is on the money, use your plotter or navionics and just click on the nearest triangle with a 'c' in it. These are called tide stations, and it will give you the tidal flow and direction (usually true as opposed to mag) for various states of the tide. Even if the triangle is a few miles away, it normally means that the tides are quite stable over that entire area.

5 or so years ago, I would have pointed you in the direction of a Tidal Stream Atlas. I always used to carry one on the boat, but not these days as the plotted gives me much more info, and instantly.

11 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Even if the triangle is a few miles away, it normally means that the tides are quite stable over that entire area.

Nearest one is in the Irish sea (well off the headland in the picture)and we will be fishing the Luce Bay area tides seem to be quite sluggish towards Sandhead and Glenluce but more flow near Drummore. It is not a big deal and it is probably just my way of thinking as a kayak fisherman but we will be on my friends boat so tides shouldn't be such a big thing. 

Many thanks for the replies!

Screenshot_20220429-100652_Maps.thumb.jpg.7b90c9a9e16e89a91c247f3229955629.jpg

Edited by Malc