SPJing

OK, I have given it a go and caught fish but all have been hooked outside of the mouth, I tried with just one hook but same result I have to add that all fish were small, no more than 2-3lb.

I don't like it, but is there a way of stopping the foul hooking?

I'm not decrying anyone using this method but I just don't like foul hooking, especially if there are smaller fish about as it means killing them. 

Cheers in advance 

Good question. I think I've had one or two hooked externally, but not enough to worry me. What jigs are you using? And what size hooks? And are the hooks the right size for the jig?

@GPSguru and @Terry Smith may be able to share more extensive knowledge on this so tagging them into the thread.

I would think the way the jigs fall/flutter means the assist hooks are flailing around a few inches from the jig and when a fish goes for the jig, they are just as easily hooked on the outside as the inside of the mouth

Maybe a bigger fish with a wider mouth has more chance of getting the jig and hooks in it's mouth than a smaller one

I think the foul hooking is part of the catching process for spjing, but as you say not good when there are small fish taking them though

10 hours ago, Malc said:

OK, I have given it a go and caught fish but all have been hooked outside of the mouth, I tried with just one hook but same result I have to add that all fish were small, no more than 2-3lb.

I don't like it, but is there a way of stopping the foul hooking?

I'm not decrying anyone using this method but I just don't like foul hooking, especially if there are smaller fish about as it means killing them. 

Cheers in advance 

Yes, probably about 15 - 25% of the time (less on the deep wrecks), and the culprits are always Pout, small Pollock, and scad.

The bigger fish (probably 4lb and above) are always mouth hooked. I have never foul hooked a Bass of any size.

However, Pollock of 2 - 3 lb are often hooked in the area of the mouth and tend to go back unharmed.

Pout get hooked anywhere, often in the top of the head, but pout suffer from barotrauma and rarely go back.

Finer hooks tend to be most fish friendly, I have been using Suteki twin assist with huge success.

When they are foul hooked, I am not sure whether they were going for the jig, or the shiny flailing hooks ?

19 hours ago, Andy135 said:

What jigs are you using? And what size hooks? And are the hooks the right size for the jig?

I am using HTO osoi and the other slow jig which are ready rigged, and the other is similar to savage gear odin but can't remember the name. 

4 hours ago, Malc said:

I am using HTO osoi and the other slow jig which are ready rigged, and the other is similar to savage gear odin but can't remember the name. 

Depends how old the Osoi is, the originals had the wrong hooks on them, but that would has been about 2017.

Even the later Osoi hooks are generally way too large, the hook is too heavy, and the hook braids are too thick. Although the Osoi is a good jig, it pays to change the hooks.

Also the way to look at this issue, is the fact that it is not really foul hooking as the fish was obviously going for the jig and got hooked up in the process.