Plymouth

Anyone from Plymouth on here? 

Odyssey is looking for a summer break to the south coast next year… and I’m keen to understand what marinas to avoid and what the prices maybe 🙂 Also what my options are with regard to refuelling given I’m a petrol 🙂 

16 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Anyone from Plymouth on here? 

Odyssey is looking for a summer break to the south coast next year… and I’m keen to understand what marinas to avoid and what the prices maybe 🙂 Also what my options are with regard to refuelling given I’m a petrol 🙂 

Lots of options, 3 Marina's in Plymouth, 2 in Dartmouth, one in Brixham, one in Torquay, and visitors moorings are usually available in Salcombe.

There are fuel barges in Plymouth, Dartmouth, and I think there is still one in Brixham.

I was thinking Plymouth as it’s reasonably easy to get to from South Wales by car.

Brixham is a good shout as long as I’m close enough for threshers and other by catch. Weather limits some activities from Milford in the autumn so keen to expand my options…

main constraints are:

- How close to giant mackerel, will be economical to chase them from new port

- what refuelling… I’m spoilt as I’ve got 24/7 fuel in marina currently 

- how long to get there from South Wales by car. Needs to e doable for a night before, days fishing and drive home but circa 10pm…

Plymouth looks a good option. Falmouth be better but it’s a bit far to drive down for day…

I hadn’t considered brixham but not sure of the big fish possibilities! 

Id be down there for 2-3 months… (late August to late October) before heading back to Milford for late October/November for the porgies before hauling out for Christmas maintenance 

Edited by Odyssey

I’m tempted east of Plymouth… if it’s cheaper but I’m not sure on the giant mackerel situation east of Plymouth… whether I’d be likely to see much by catch when fishing…. 

I’ve emailed every marina down there, will give it a few days and start phoning round of no luck a day trip out to visit them all and see if can get a space