Mooring chains

About 3 weeks ago I renewed my chains as the old ones were a bit knackered.

hacksaw in hand, new second hand chain, shackles, monel wire and various hand tools I set off before low water to do the deed. 

I can honestly say that is the last time I do that without a battery powered angle grinder 🤣

Couldn’t get to the rear one coz the water didn’t recede enough but the leftover chain was good so linked to that.

I was quite surprised at my lack of attention over the past few visits not realising how worn the chains had become towards the middle, focussing mainly on the ground connection and the bow/stern connection. They had worn to about 5mm which I know is very strong still but hey, who knows what could happen 🤔

Glad to have got the job done then went for a dangle off the river mouth just to be terrorised by Whiting…. Don’t know what I expected really but it was better than a blank 😬

popped back down on the way home to make sure she was alright 😊

E2B9B5D8-92BA-4834-82AF-9B7F10D88A59.jpeg

5DA419F7-2AB7-424E-9C0C-CC8458A72175.jpeg

0F014D02-0594-4DDE-AC0C-A206C6B4E953.jpeg

CEA2C1EF-B85E-47F1-9164-2BBDC1B35CF3.jpeg

26379D61-C785-4D4B-85E3-FA0819C68C58.jpeg

That chain looks fairly lightweight, tbe fairways here use some fairly heavy stuff, the links are about 80mm long, maybe 15mm thick. They haul them every year to inspect them, as you say they soon wear through. There’s a big stack of old sinkers on the Beach that have had the fixing ring wear out, 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

That chain looks fairly lightweight, tbe fairways here use some fairly heavy stuff, the links are about 80mm long, maybe 15mm thick. They haul them every year to inspect them, as you say they soon wear through. There’s a big stack of old sinkers on the Beach that have had the fixing ring wear out, 

12mm to start with...drying mooring standard issue here.