Chesil Sunday 12th Feb a 1st for me!

mike farrants

out on the boat Saturday, but sunday looked like the SE wind might be too much for weymouth bay - so we decide to hit chesil and have the wind off our back -

we arrived at high tide (lunchtime) and intended to fish till dusk= a very slow day, only one other fishermen could be seen, a cool wind, a variety of baits, inc fresh mackerel, 2 rods each, 

image.png.5bb48d6f286cedf5676287fa3486e3c2.png

big and small baits were coming back untouched, we stuck it out till dusk when i had the only fish of the day - my fist ever dab - i cant say it put up a fight, i didnt even see the bite, just reeled in on a bait check and noticed the weight - i was delighted to be surprised by a fish appearing. and a first for me!

it was caught on a strip of mackerel belly, on the top hook of a 2 hook flapper with pop up glow beads.

It spurred us both on to get the tip lights out and fish into the darkness - sadly no more fish and we called it at 7pm

image.png.b68434b1771bec096dfcb74ba01d332c.png

chesil is a tough beach to fish - but it does throw up a nice surprise now and again!