Considering a vehicle change again.

JDP

Currently have an Isuzu dmax which I really like, not new but a 2014. Its a manual and most vehicles here are auto, which are far nicer to drive on  big drives. My mate is trading in his Mazda bt50 which is a 2018 and slightly bigger engine with more power and 100nm more torque as well as a 6 speed auto gearbox. The price I can get his vehicle for is pretty much what I can get for the dmax which is 4 years older and 110k more on the clock. My dmax has a full dual cab with a 1800x1800 tray and his has the space cab with a slightly longer tray.

Any on here had any experience with the bt50.

11 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Both the Ford and the Mazda come out of the same factory and have been untill now been mostly the same vehicle apart from body paneling. Mazda have only now dropped the Ford engine to use the Isuzu motor but these haven't yet reached our shores here.

The ugly front end of the Mazda is normally replaced with a bull bar ( including the one I'm considering ). The guy I'm getting the car from has had two rangers in the past three years, both caught fire and were written off.

12 hours ago, Andy135 said:

A neighbour of mine has the Dmax and really rates it. He's had his from new and uses it for commuting and occasional load lugging.

Shame yours isn't the auto.

No experience of the Mazda I'm afraid.

Yes the Isuzu have a fantastic reputation here, they use the same engine as the commonly used light delivery trucks on the road. The engines have been tested to 4 million km and are the most commonly used council vehicles on the road because of their easy low maintenance. It's that reputation helps hold their resale value.

My other option would be to buy the Mazda, hit it with the polisher and sell it on to get another Isuzu.

15 minutes ago, JDP said:

Both the Ford and the Mazda come out of the same factory and have been untill now been mostly the same vehicle apart from body paneling. Mazda have only now dropped the Ford engine to use the Isuzu motor but these haven't yet reached our shores here.

The ugly front end of the Mazda is normally replaced with a bull bar ( including the one I'm considering ). The guy I'm getting the car from has had two rangers in the past three years, both caught fire and were written off.

Yes the Isuzu have a fantastic reputation here, they use the same engine as the commonly used light delivery trucks on the road. The engines have been tested to 4 million km and are the most commonly used council vehicles on the road because of their easy low maintenance. It's that reputation helps hold their resale value.

My other option would be to buy the Mazda, hit it with the polisher and sell it on to get another Isuzu.

You've confused me Jon, they're not motor changes, the latest Mazdas are Isuzu's lock stock, the earlier ones were fords with a few trim changes....... They ceased to be made in 2016...... So if your dealers are still selling them then they must have bought up all the stock

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

You've confused me Jon, they're not motor changes, the latest Mazdas are Isuzu's lock stock, the earlier ones were fords with a few trim changes....... They ceased to be made in 2016...... So if your dealers are still selling them then they must have bought up all the stock

You have me confused too. Its only the very latest Mazda's that share some similarity with the Dmax, as as far as I was aware. Also not sure where you get the 2016 ceased to be made from ( I can't find anything to back this) Here's a review comparing both from 2018. All vehicles have a manufacturer plate with the year of build, with the one Im getting plated 2017 and shares the Ford apart from body panels. It would be good if the 2017 Mazda did have the same engine as they are far more straight forward to service and about half the price per service. https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2018-isuzu-d-max-ls-t-vs-2018-mazda-bt-50-gt-comparison/

This is the newest edition (which Im not getting). 

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/isuzu-d-max-and-mazda-bt-50-whats-the-difference-125295/

Here on car sales reviews Ive been back over dozens of reviews but find nothing to indicate a cease of Mazda producing them, maybe Im totally missing what you are on about, which is highly possible 3 days into headache.https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/mazda/bt-50/car-reviews/

Edited by JDP

Maybe it's a combination of headache and dyslexia but that still looks like the same Mazda but assembled in a different plant. The new part Isuzu part Ford and Mazda vehicles will be available next September here. 

I simply can't see any change to Mazda after 2016 apart from a front end body panel change. I would be very happy if from 2016 Mazda were running the Isuzu dmax engine but they are and still are running the 3.2 Ford motor with basicly all the same Ford parts untill the new ones arrive here. 

Anyway what ever the 2017 is, Ive decided I will go with it even though the Ford Mazda engine doesn't have the same reputation as the dmax.