WOW! - fish of a lifetime......

mike farrants

WOW indeed! Congratulations on a cracking PB Mike! Super fish! What bait did it take?

A very good session and a good write-up too! I could really sense your excitement! Lovely turbot as well. Bet that tasted good?

Don't forget to post up your tope in the PB gallery too. 👍

8 hours ago, mike farrants said:

we had it alongside the boat for ages trying to figure out how to get it aboard - eventually we got a rope around its tail and hauled it in!

too big to weigh without harming it, as we had nothing big enough to put it in - I could barely lift it on my own for the photo, we have to estimate its weight based on the other fish caught that day - this Tope was clearly 40+lbs, maybe even pushing 50lb - a fish of lifetime for me, and I am still buzzing!

fish went back safely, and we went home after that knackering ordeal!

Very well done Mike, you are certainly firing on all cylinders at the moment 👍

The last time I had a fish too big to weigh (we usually use the landing net) we rigged up a sling using a 10m 4T ratchet strap, it actually works quite well,  made into 4 loops to hold the fish.

Just now, GPSguru said:

Very well done Mike, you are certainly firing on all cylinders at the moment 👍

The last time I had a fish too big to weigh (we usually use the landing net) we rigged up a sling using a 10m 4T ratchet strap, it actually works quite well,  made into 4 loops to hold the fish.

That sounds like my safety harness I have to wear at work 

12 hours ago, JonC said:

Great fishies there Mike. There have been a few tope showing locally, but it’s almost impossible to find the mackerel for bait to be worth trying. 

we spent an hour feathering, the entrances with nothing - then suddenly hit a drop off and found them hiding formthe Ebb tide - in 10 mins we had about 15 or so - all mackies taken on sabikis - thats whats working at the moment. the daylights got nothing!