Parsons 2 stroke outboard 5hp

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Do you mean Parsun? If so, there are some varied reviews of their 9.9hp outboards here, which may give you an idea of the quality of their 5hp models: https://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews192823.html.

Is this for your tender?

Yes for my tender. Ive read mixed reviews. Hard to see why some like some hate. 

My guess is that the build quality is variable, so some owners have a decent one that runs/is reliable, and others got one that doesn't/isn't.

It seems that they are using a design "borrowed" from Yamaha, but are clearly not a Yamaha. As I have no first hand experience of Parsun I can't give you a fact-based opinion - instead I'll just say that the idea of rewarding a company that rips off the design of another company doesn't sit well with me, even before getting into the question of reliability, service engineer availability etc.

I’ve seen one…. Was noisy as hell but it worked…. How long for, I’m not sure…

Id be looking for a 2nd hand motor. Some of the small yams/mercs seem to go on for years. Very simple engine work not a lot to go wrong 

42 minutes ago, JonC said:

Small engines aren’t that expensive, just buy a new decent one- it’s only a washer replacement for you.

I’ve got a new engine. I just want more power without the extra weight. That’s why I’m looking at a 2 stroke. 2nd hand ones are like rocking horse shit to find

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The 5hp 2 stroke is 20kg. The 5hp 4 stroke is 26kg.

Thats 6kg incase you struggle. 

Thanks, that saved me getting another person to help with the fingers. 
All the modern 4,5and6s are the same unit different rating so get a 6hp then. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes I realise that, unfortunately insurance companies don’t. ☹️

Well just get a 5 then. Or buy a 2 stroke new through the marine division of your company. 

26 minutes ago, JonC said:

Well just get a 5 then. Or buy a 2 stroke new through the marine division of your company. 

Buying a new one is what I’m going to do. The tohatsu is proving hard to find, and I’ve not found another 5hp 2 stroke apart from the parsuns. Hence the question. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Buying a new one is what I’m going to do. The tohatsu is proving hard to find, and I’ve not found another 5hp 2 stroke apart from the parsuns. Hence the question. 

You need to get the old guy from Lyme bay involved in this conversation, he might have one on his desk.