Lenco trim tab actuator replacement

Replacement Lenco standard actuator has arrived, ready to replace the old actuator (motor siezed twice, due to suspected lower ram seals leaking).

M1Pmvg6.jpg

coZceVh.jpg

If I can get to the boat tonight I'll throw up some pics of the replacement process.

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

No. The other one works fine and shows no sign of misbehaviour, so if it ain't broke...

I was thinking more along the lines of response  times with new compaired to old. Yes your old one looks good and works , but will it work as quick as the new unit? Could make things tricky if not evenly balanced. 

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I was thinking more along the lines of response  times with new compaired to old. Yes your old one looks good and works , but will it work as quick as the new unit? Could make things tricky if not evenly balanced. 

Maybe fit a camera adjacent to them to keep an eye on them? 

34 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I'll test them out later tonight and if I need to replace the other one then I will, but I'm optimistic that it won't be necessary. #famouslastwords....

Well, a 3 hour round trip tonight for just 30 mins work replacing the actuator.

Slackened off the top and bottom fixings (M8 bolts and nylocs)

Jkt3nn2.jpg

And removed the old sealant from the transom hole and cable. Then I unclipped the Deutsch connector in the bilge...

eoi9GXJ.jpg

... and disassembled it to allow the bare wires to be pulled back out through the transom.

gDX9knc.jpg

Then, the fixings were fully removed and the actuator taken off.

1Wsd2EP.jpg

As Haynes always says, "refitting is the reverse of removal", so the new actuator was fitted,

bVRpJln.jpg

...and the cable was fed through the transom and then the bare wires fed into a new Deutsch connector. Don't forget to thread the wires through the connector seal before inserting them into the connector, followed by the connector seal itself.

5QFMNcO.jpg

Once connected, I turned on the power and tested the actuator, which worked fine, and with no noticeable difference between old and new actuator speeds.

Tightened up all the fixings and resealed the cable run through the transom.

s7bJcCh.jpg

Job done.

Is the wire passing through the transom s.o.p?  (A nice acronym to start Neil’s day)

I don’t know what I expected to see, maybe some type of skin fitting? 
I understand that you have just replaced like for like so you’re not going to be put straight up against the wall, just yet.  

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Guessing standard operating procedure. It was how it came from the boat builder. The Deutch connections are designed to disassemble so the cables can pass through the transom so I suppose so.

Yeah I can see what’s been done, just looks a little unfinished and maybe vulnerable, if an angry dogfish attacked you or a couple of 12 oz weights rigged in tandem clumped into them.