Simon Biggs

Totofo

Hello everyone. I am new here so steady on.

I am looking for a boat 21/22 foot, plenty of deck space to cart supplies to and from the mainland over a 3mile stretch, a wheelhouse with sleeping facilities also if I want to use it recreationally and visit places 20/30 miles away.
I would also like some advice on wether to get an outboard or inboard and which fuel although bear in mind I will be  doing zero maintenance it will be going to a professional. A couple of makes to mention that I have been advised are the Orkney the pirate and the Merry Fisher.

Thanks for the edit prompts. So it will be moored up at Tenby harbour and also on a swing mooring sometimes. I would like to go to and from Caldey but also like to go to Lundy Island and stay on the boat overnight. 
Budget of around 30 to 35K.

Look forward to your replies 

Simon

Edited by Totofo
Extra info needed

@Totofo welcome to the outlaws. Please feel free to put up an intro post. 
With regards to your boat requirements, there are many many choices. 
you dont mention how often you would be using the boat or where you will keep it, either trailer or mooring? 
A bit mire specific info would help to narrow the choice for you! 

As a starter, a diesel boat at that size is going to be far more economical to run and service. It will generally have a lower c.o.g. Making it feel a bit more stable and it will hold its resale value better. 
Down side is on a boat that size you will have an engine box on the deck somewhere, they nearly all do, but this can be utilised as a seat of bait table etc. Diesel boats will be noisier than a modern 4 stroke petrol. 
Where the  inboard has an engine box the petrol outboard will lose most of the stern to a splash well and outboard so this means a lot of unusable space on board. 
Others will soon argue my points and I could agree with them but that would just make us both wrong 😀

Welcome Simon.

3 hours ago, Totofo said:

to and from the mainland over a 3mile stretch,

Presume you'll be heading to and from an island somewhere? Which one? The nature of the passage, depth, prevailing sea conditions etc may influence which style of boat to go for.

5 minutes ago, Totofo said:

Off shore Tenby 

Caldey Island?

Any of the boat makes suggested would be fine for a crossing like that. The Pirate 21 has good sea-keeping and speed - they're relatively rare so keep their value, which also means they can be a bit expensive for what they are. They have no berths so if you definitely want to overnight on them then they may not be right for you. In my opinion the Orkney's are overpriced and slow but are well respected hulls. I don't have much experience of MF's to offer an opinion.

What's your budget as this may limit or open up your options.

Hello,

Im near you in Milford Haven. 

Before you open the can of worms related to diesel vs outboard, check out your refuelling options. I’m fortunate in Milford to have fuel 24/7 petrol and diesel. If you don’t have fuel on site then it’s your choice. From memory, Tenby doesn’t have onsite fuel and I’m not sure about Saundersfoot. 

In that size a Pirate is a good choice but make sure it’s got a self draining deck. They are heavy for their size and well built. They’d also get you to Lundy no issues. Bit basic inside but you can sleep on them. 

Outboards may suit you better as they are easier to beach and if you happen to pick up a pot buoy (there are hundreds of not thousands around there) it’s far easier to disentangle! 

I only mention refuelling as it can be a pain if there is only one type of pump (like Swansea used to be, Ilfracombe currently is). 

Youll probably see that a lot of cats are on outboards as are charters so before you get a lot of opinions on running costs it’s worth asking someone who runs one as to why they use petrol vs Diesel. It’s best to look at total running costs (fuel, service, price of boat) You’ll find a point when diesel is cheaper (usually about 100-150hrs per year)

Edited by Odyssey

On 9/10/2021 at 6:29 AM, Saintly Fish said:

@Totofo welcome to the outlaws. Please feel free to put up an intro post. 
With regards to your boat requirements, there are many many choices. 
you dont mention how often you would be using the boat or where you will keep it, either trailer or mooring? 
A bit mire specific info would help to narrow the choice for you! 

Hi Saintly Fish. It would be used around 2 to 3 times a month on average. It will be harbour moored and also swing mooring off shore.

I have also been looking at the Arvor boats with just the deck and no seats. 

On 9/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, Odyssey said:

Hello,

Im near you in Milford Haven. 

Before you open the can of worms related to diesel vs outboard, check out your refuelling options. I’m fortunate in Milford to have fuel 24/7 petrol and diesel. If you don’t have fuel on site then it’s your choice. From memory, Tenby doesn’t have onsite fuel and I’m not sure about Saundersfoot. 

In that size a Pirate is a good choice but make sure it’s got a self draining deck. They are heavy for their size and well built. They’d also get you to Lundy no issues. Bit basic inside but you can sleep on them. 

Outboards may suit you better as they are easier to beach and if you happen to pick up a pot buoy (there are hundreds of not thousands around there) it’s far easier to disentangle! 

I only mention refuelling as it can be a pain if there is only one type of pump (like Swansea used to be, Ilfracombe currently is). 

Youll probably see that a lot of cats are on outboards as are charters so before you get a lot of opinions on running costs it’s worth asking someone who runs one as to why they use petrol vs Diesel. It’s best to look at total running costs (fuel, service, price of boat) You’ll find a point when diesel is cheaper (usually about 100-150hrs per year)

Hi Odyssey.

Are you saying you have to have a refuelling point for an inboard diesel? 
There are plenty bigger boats at Tenby and I don’t think any of them use a pump. 
I guess it would just have to be a case of fill up the cans and put them in by hand like I do now with my Shetland. 
(I am sure it will take a bit longer though to fill up) 

😁

11 minutes ago, Totofo said:

Hi Saintly Fish. It would be used around 2 to 3 times a month on average. It will be harbour moored and also swing mooring off shore.

I have also been looking at the Arvor boats with just the deck and no seats. 

You dont make a mention of budget?

14 minutes ago, Totofo said:

not sure but depends on how much I sell my boat and other collateral but somewhere 15 to 30K 

https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/fishing-boats/jeanneau-merry-fisher-635/600024

https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/fishing-boats/starfisher-670/590597