might become a regular here....

Slapton again, no boat trip coz the weather is so dire so off to Slapton again as the wind dies off (a bit...)

Dirty water for approx 400m, pop up rigs deployed, one far out and another not so far. Very slow but faint knocks so after 15 mins, long one wound in... tiny 'ting

After that it was plenty more of those (last year they were going 1.25lb average....), dogfish galore and even had a Smoothie/dog double....really?

After 5 hrs I'd had enough of stomping up and down the huge bank of sharp sand (starting to show my age here  😬) for a paltry return and decided to knock it on the head.

Packing up, a chap in a van drove by and asked what I'd caught. I told him and he said it was the same for him. Not very good really and surprising at the size difference in the Whiting from the previous year. I maintain my view that the commercial fishing industry is to blame for the demise in size  of these humble fish. My last boat trip was plagued by Whiting and even they were small by comparison to the year before.

I digress. I kept everything I caught as most of it would have died anyway and these will be bait for a Huss trip I have planned with a fellow night shift worker in the coming weeks.

Roll on a boat trip 🤞

Untitled-12.png

Untitled-13.png

Untitled-14.png

Nice work! I particularly like the hound/dog combo. Never had a double-shot like that before... maybe a new target for my 2022 fishing 👍🤣

Those whiting look about the same size I was finding in the Solent the last time I was out. Lots of smaller ones with only one or two table-sized specimens. Very frustrating catching those little ones - how they manage to get a 6/0 hook meant for cod or conger in their gobs I will never know.

If you're after huss I seem to remember reports in years gone by of huss coming out of the left hand (north-eastern) side of Blackpool Sands, fishing very near to the rocks. A good time of year to target them there as the beach is mostly empty of visitors and swimmers, plus the car park is free.

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Nice work! I particularly like the hound/dog combo. Never had a double-shot like that before... maybe a new target for my 2022 fishing 👍🤣

Those whiting look about the same size I was finding in the Solent the last time I was out. Lots of smaller ones with only one or two table-sized specimens. Very frustrating catching those little ones - how they manage to get a 6/0 hook meant for cod or conger in their gobs I will never know.

If you're after huss I seem to remember reports in years gone by of huss coming out of the left hand (north-eastern) side of Blackpool Sands, fishing very near to the rocks. A good time of year to target them there as the beach is mostly empty of visitors and swimmers, plus the car park is free.

Was down at Blackpool sands in early May last year right where you are describing... the fishing was below average, (water still cold I think) but we did manage one little huss amongst the doggies and the spider crabs.

Untitled-15.png

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like an ok sesh, sure beats sitting in front of the tv. 
Im with you totally on the age and shingle thing, but doesn't it always seem the same that the best marks on a shingle beach are the furthest from the car??

It was refreshing to get out after all that horrible weather we've had and yes, the best marks normally require extra effort, one of the reasons I bought a boat... less walking 🤣