Boat names

Saw a thread in regards to boat names, which got me thinking. Its funny, don't thinks Ive every bought a boat that had a name on it and its not something I would ever consider doing. Maybe its because we have to display registration details in large clear lettering that most people don't bother with naming most of the time here (a few have a registration and name).

This registration lettering is what we use when communicating with authorities etc. Had around 20 small boats in the UK which were  also not named. Is it a superstition thing to name a boat or is there some other reason and where is the line drawn, do people name their cars, bikes, lawn mower etc ?

I've named a few of my bikes, but not really printable 🤣

My 2 race bikes were named, which is quite common in drag racing........

All bar my 13ft open boat were already named when I acquired them. When you look in the marina's , the vast majority are named

I get what your saying Jon, I’ve never named a boat, just gone with the existing ones. My boats name Janie means nothing to me, it was probably someone’s girlfriend or something. I would happily just use a call sign. 

Most boats do seem to have names. Some people believe an old superstition that it is unlucky to change a boats name, but I think to most of us that is nonsense. I have always named (or used the existing name) every boat that we have had. At our boat club members often refer to the boat name when discussing the crew - we are all getting a bit older and maybe that is easier to remember!!! Geoff.