New steering cable fitted today

After asking for some advice, I went ahead and ordered a heavy duty steering system (Teleflex) as that was what was on the boat already albeit an Ultraflex sysytem. @Andy135 suggested a normal cable would do and he was probably right but I like to play safe so there it is.

Went down to Polly Steps quite early and loaded my dinghy with all manner of shit then off to the boat for some serious work.

Well, getting the old system apart needed some creative tool work. First of all I couldnt even get the wheel off as it has spongy sides and the puller was never going to work.... so I sawed the fucker off 🤣

Getting the bezel off was interesting as the self tapping screws that had been used were mild steel items and I couldn't even figure out what the original heads were because of the rust so lots of hammering later and smashed plastic off it came!

the frame that holds  the helm was extremely rusty too but with some effort it all came apart eventually. Getting the old cable out took some effort too with lots of lying down, getting up, moving, lying down blah blah blah.... anyway, it came out and was thrust into the dinghy with disgust 😅

By this time the tide had gone out so I took the opportunity to clean the barnacles off the lower unit, scrub the anodes and top up the PTT with ATF..... (still didn't solve my little problem that I've already discussed here...) anyway, greased all the bits that needed doing on the engines whilst the opportunity was there.

Fitted the new helm with a bit of file work. The holes that were previously drilled were  not very well done position wise but adequate for the new frame. Helm fitted it was time for the new cable to be fed in from the arse end, up and down several times then the ram at the motor end was a tight fit due to my ladder being very slightly in the way but, with a little bit of persuasion in it went, result.

Followed the fitting instructions to the letter, feed cable in etc etc and finish up at the motor end and job done.

steering now feels very different and much easier than the old one which I'm guessijng was an original fit, 21 years ago (hours now 1,272).

It was a lovely day to be down there, sun shining and a perfect day for going out fishing but hey ho, these jobs need to be done and I'd rather do them on a nice day than a shit one 😅

Untitled-65.png

Untitled-67.png

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Untitled-70.png

Untitled-71.png

Yes, saw you down there this morning whilst I was collecting some stuff from Brother in laws car.

The steering wheels come off easier by using a side to side rocking motion, a puller always seems to damage the wheel.

I am expecting a text from Peter (Petrel) with a catch report as he was out on the Swansea (Clay Boat), and the Ursa (the Salvage) today.

Have you got rid of your disco ?

18 hours ago, JonC said:

Well done sorting it out. People that put mild steel fittings on boats when other materials are available need shooting. 
No simple job ever goes easy, sounds like you got the job done ok though. 

Cheers Jon.

Better shoot me then coz the new helm bracketry is mild steel too 😬

16 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, saw you down there this morning whilst I was collecting some stuff from Brother in laws car.

The steering wheels come off easier by using a side to side rocking motion, a puller always seems to damage the wheel.

I am expecting a text from Peter (Petrel) with a catch report as he was out on the Swansea (Clay Boat), and the Ursa (the Salvage) today.

Have you got rid of your disco ?

I tried everything to get it it off including just that but it was impossible, even smacking it with a hammer didn't work.

I hope he did well, I like hearing about good fishing, gives me something to aim for 😅

Yeah, the Disco went a few months ago now, back up North from whence it came. Sold it whilst it still had some residual value. Have you seen the new truck? 

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Have you seen the new truck? 

I thought, maybe, you now have a black pick up (ute) with a rear hard top ?

I have changed to volvo S90 and now have a MY19 discovery sport HSE dynamic, black, lux.

The jeep is still going  strong, but I had to change a dash bulb the other day. I was going to complain to jeep as the bulb was only 19 years old 🤣

Yes, it looks like Peter had a good session on the clay boat, and found three 5lb bass.

5B5F0A71-B677-4048-922B-DB05209786C5.thumb.jpeg.492966e88bf839cb1076b849612395fc.jpeg

23 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I thought, maybe, you now have a black pick up (ute) with a rear hard top ?

I have changed to volvo S90 and now have a MY19 discovery sport HSE dynamic, black, lux.

The jeep is still going  strong, but I had to change a dash bulb the other day. I was going to complain to jeep as the bulb was only 19 years old 🤣

Yes, it looks like Peter had a good session on the clay boat, and found three 5lb bass.

5B5F0A71-B677-4048-922B-DB05209786C5.thumb.jpeg.492966e88bf839cb1076b849612395fc.jpeg

yes, Toyota Hilux Invincible... thought you'd suss that 😉

I'd definitely put in a complaint.... 19 years 😅

Some nice Bass there, quality 👌 I had a 52cm one last night down at Beesands along with a schoolie and my mate had a 47cm, other than that it was a shit session 😐