Garmin v Navionics

I have Garmin stuff on my boat (came with it) 1 x 5012, 1 x 5022 and a newer 7410 xsv

I've not really played around with the newer one, just use the other 2

The detail on the older units is no match to the detail on the Navionics app on my phone

The 2 plotters run the g2 vision card, is the g3 vision as good as the Navionics

Has anyone compared the both side by side

Seem to remember Andy or Fishy upgraded all their electronics a while back ?

I always used to prefer Navionics, and probably still do for general navigation, but I've been really impressed by the C-Map Reveal charts with their almost photo-like sea floor contour mapping.

From memory Garmin kit only runs their own cartography? Could be wrong on that though, but Navionics and C-Map availability is one of the reasons I use Lowrance plotters, plus the fact that I find their user interface to be intuitive. I also like the fact that they offer a wide range of additional hardware add-ons.

56 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I have Garmin stuff on my boat (came with it) 1 x 5012, 1 x 5022 and a newer 7410 xsv

I've not really played around with the newer one, just use the other 2

The detail on the older units is no match to the detail on the Navionics app on my phone

The 2 plotters run the g2 vision card, is the g3 vision as good as the Navionics

Has anyone compared the both side by side

Seem to remember Andy or Fishy upgraded all their electronics a while back ?

Since 2017 Garmin owns Navionics, so all their charts since late 2017 are now based on Navionics ............

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/post/garmin-acquires-navionics

21 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Can't find any demos of their charts, or of the sea contour mapping

Be interested to see the comparisons

If you mean C-Map, take a look at the screenshots I took from my plotter.

6pcWAay.png

nLMmAnN.png

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Since 2017 Garmin owns Navionics, so all their charts since late 2017 are now based on Navionics ............

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/post/garmin-acquires-navionics

So the Garmin g3 will be the same as the current navionics

If so, I will probably up grade the newer unit

6 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

So the Garmin g3 will be the same as the current navionics

If so, I will probably up grade the newer unit

Good plan ................. the G3 charts are not compatible with your 5 series units, I think this is to with processor speed and screen resolution...............

Look here for compatibility ............ https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/662662#devices

Im trying to get my hands on a g3 vision to try. We have such a huge coast line here that only certain amounts have been surveyed so not so great for my local area but Ive heard its very good for some of the areas I travel to fish.

I also have Navionics platinum, the fact Garmin own both makes me think there won't be much in it in terms of what each have on offer.