Sunday 19th March - Lulworth Banks

mike farrants

27 minutes ago, JonC said:

Is the white light very effective on a clear day? I think mine is a traditional filament lightbulb, not as bright as LED. How high is your light mounted? Do you have an arch at the stern? 

Yes, mine is a pole mounted LED light mounted in the top centre of the A frame on the stern.

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.46d322a0e2427e5d7a47b0987b3ad615.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

Collision Regulation Rule 30 Part A:

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

So you maybe displaying a marker buoy for your warp but this not a legally accepted means of displaying you are at anchor. However most people would keep clear…

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, mine is a pole mounted LED light mounted in the top centre of the A frame on the stern.

What sweets are in the old flare boxed? I’m guessing you have gone digital nowadays with flares?

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

What sweets are in the old flare boxed? I’m guessing you have gone digital nowadays with flares?

I carry pyros as LED are not accepted by MCA…. Hopefully they will be by time I need to renew…. Else have to pay for new ones and disposal costs 😡

35 minutes ago, JonC said:

I only carry one box now, on the port side, and toward the transom. We only ever used one as a dry box, so the second was a waste of space. In the dry box, I carry mainly a few emergency tools, like short bolt cutters, a tool roll of spanners, screwdrivers, etc. Also, a box of fuses and electrical tape. All the stuff you hope you never need !

No, I don't carry flares, IMHO they are a liability on a small boat. I carry a PLB with a homing beacon on my LJ, and the boat has AIS and a Epirb.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, GPSguru said:

Is that a railblaza light? I use one on my kayak just for visibility in low light conditions.