Saturday 1st April - Preston beach weymouth

mike farrants

Have friends staying for the week from land locked Buckinghamshire - and wanted to fish as much as possible this week - following the 35mph winds of Thursday and Friday we chose to stick to beach fishing and having had a look at the swell pounding chesil we chose the more sheltered Preston beach - the east end of Weymouth bay. 

Armed with ragworm and bling for plaice (or anything flat) and a 2 hook flapper for anything else.

We weren't expecting great things (although have caught rays, whiting, eels, and dogs here)- plus knowing its better at night we opted for the afternoon/evening. 

first cast at 3pm just as the sun came out - very slow but enjoyable afternoon - we fished until dark and i blanked - my mate however caught a lovely bass on rag and a spider crab!

went home at 9pm to bangers and mash - a thoroughly enjoyable blank on a spring day!

image.png.61da147fea62b9d7be433b4e1f7ee0af.png

image.png.5b76ce3f2a190c2b268f792871191426.png

image.png.9ba195e0ed8be9c6efaecfd119085d5b.png

A good back up venue when Chesil is evil. Shame on the blank 😬

my mate and I went to Chesil just after the hurricane in ‘87 and drove along the road behind Preston beach. We drove past a coach which was smashed to hell and full of pebbles and sand. I think half the beach was on the road 😅

when we got to Chesil, that was a different story again….