Back on the stinky baits.

Hoop

Yarp, it happened.. back on the stinky baits but it didn't all go according to plan!! Standard.

Found a stick worth a punt via a Facebook group, Century Tip Tornado Supermatch Graphex.. sold as nearly new having been used twice! Day after arranging courier to pick up in Scotland, I had it in hand.. couple of days later, I had it on the beach! Session finished with my buddy having landed a couple of dogs, it was a shit nothing tide and was more a session for a social catch up than anything else..

For me, I took the rod out of the bag for the first time on the beach.. Rookie mistake? The 'next to new' Century had an issue, the male section of the spigot joint had blown up and wouldn't seat sufficiently enough into the Butt section.

Rather foolishly, and despite only managing to seat it upto an inch or so, I decided to give it a go whilst taking it easy.. pfffft. Second cast out pings the tip section and impacts the beach hard enough to generate sparks as it blew up the bottom guide.

Good news today - sent to Century yesterday and was delivered at 1026 today, by 1400 they'd repaired the spigot, no fee, guide replacement and return will run to about 36£. Interesting note from them was that the spigot had blown up due to internal contamination.. sand and other detritus present within the butt section.

The seller claims the rod was no different when purchased and always had limited connection.. not knowing any different he fished with the rod thinking it was normal. Thankfully he's covered part of the cost of sending to Century and guide replacement at factory so it could've been worse. Can't wait to get it back and give it a dam good thrashing!

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Wow sounds like you got lucky steve. Now you do have an almost new rod for not a lot of dosh. Fair play to the seller for chipping in.

Lucky? I'd say so..

Although Century are no Orvis in after sales service, Century do tend to look after customers for the most part. Considering the rod isn't registered to me and was purchased secondhand, credit where its due for them to just get on with it... perhaps it worked in my favour as they did state that within the registration docs provided they warn against spigot contamination?! They caused a chuckle when they said it happens within the marine environment .. where else would it be deployed!? Sightly overkill on the local chalk stream.. 

As for cheap? So far the bloody thing has cost me 448£! -50£ transferred back in..  over 600£ new!! Stupid money. 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Actually, this reminds me - when are you, me and @Saintly Fish going dangling then? There was talk of a session a while back. Are we waiting for a decent tide?

Don't know, it kinda died?! Thought it was my reference to the glory holes in the adjacent public conveniences.

Superb tides this weekend, will see hounds along local beaches.. as the Bass will be mooching up the creeks.. 🤔

18 minutes ago, Hoop said:

Lucky? I'd say so..

Although Century are no Orvis in after sales service, Century do tend to look after customers for the most part. Considering the rod isn't registered to me and was purchased secondhand, credit where its due for them to just get on with it... perhaps it worked in my favour as they did state that within the registration docs provided they warn against spigot contamination?! They caused a chuckle when they said it happens within the marine environment .. where else would it be deployed!? Sightly overkill on the local chalk stream.. 

As for cheap? So far the bloody thing has cost me 448£! -50£ transferred back in..  over 600£ new!! Stupid money. 

Don't know, it kinda died?! Thought it was my reference to the glory holes in the adjacent public conveniences.

Superb tides this weekend, will see hounds along local beaches.. as the Bass will be mooching up the creeks.. 🤔

I'm busy all week digging 🥺IMG_2898.jpeg.a1536855adb2faf742ce87d31eff69f5.jpeg

Just now, JonC said:

How are the timbers joined together?

Cross beams have baton running along, then the deck runners are notched out to the size of the baton, laid on top then nailed and glued in place. All mounted on concrete posts 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Cross beams have baton running along, then the deck runners are notched out to the size of the baton, laid on top then nailed and glued in place. All mounted on concrete posts 

Do you have a picture of the detail?

16 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yeah but it won’t be rotten in 5 years 

Neither will this. I'm replacing decking that we laid 15 years ago. So that's not a bad return. For the cost of the deck boards I can do this twice for the same cost of composite boards. We are using concrete this time to stop the supports rotting and wicking up to the boards. If we do get some rot this time I can just replace individual boards. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Neither will this. I'm replacing decking that we laid 15 years ago. So that's not a bad return. For the cost of the deck boards I can do this twice for the same cost of composite boards. We are using concrete this time to stop the supports rotting and wicking up to the boards. If we do get some rot this time I can just replace individual boards. 

Why the elaborate join? Could you have used hangers? 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Two old builders that like to do things the traditional way. And yes, decent nails not screws. 90mm

What’s the load rating per square meter?