Lowrance Hook reveal 9 problem

Asking for a boating buddy. Is there anyone in the West Sussex /Hampshire area with one of these  who wouldn’t mind plugging in the unit to their transducer so we can test it’s operation.

Standard sonar is working fine but , downscan and sidescan are faulty and we’re trying to find out if it’s a problem with the transducer, or unit.

What's the transducer? Tripleshot/TotalScan/Active Imaging? And what's the fault? Does the unit not recognise the side/downscan views or does it display them but poorly?

Has he checked all the pins in the cable for corrosion and/or breakages? Any nicks in the cable itself?

On 6/14/2023 at 8:31 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Is he the owner of the unit in question??

Yes he is. Apparently the FF completely cuts out intermittently in all modes. 
We did a thorough check of connections etc and they all seem fine.

He’s tried contacting Lowrance direct but to no avail.  

Edited by Jupiters Moon

12 hours ago, Jupiters Moon said:

Yes he is. Apparently the FF completely cuts out intermittently in all modes. 
We did a thorough check of connections etc and they all seem fine.

He’s tried contacting Lowrance direct but to no avail.  

That was another reason I dropped Lowrance, went from local technicians to overseas Indian tech help who seemed to know nothing about the units, it could take 45 mins simply spelling your personal details so they can give you a case number. They will also need the serial codes from the box or back of the unit, so tell him to have all that ready or his conversation with the tech guys will normally end until he has it. They will also ask what firmware version he's running and ask him to upgrade to the latest if there is one. They will most likely run him through a soft restart then a hard restart and run the unit on the boat between each of these. Ive been through this on 12in hds mk 3 units only to find firmware updates were the issue and getting the unit back to pre updates was a nightmare. This wasn't just Lowrance but Simrad evo 3 to. Im not alone with these issues, Navico need to lift their act.

Hopefully your friend has checked all electrical contacts and has a fully charged battery. For sounders I like to go direct to the 12v battery and not through any bus bars or fuse panels (still have it fused). I also like to have the battery voltage displayed on the head unit from the menu setup. The slightest bit of corrosion on wires can cause issues with sounders.

Edited by JDP

6 hours ago, JDP said:

That was another reason I dropped Lowrance, went from local technicians to overseas Indian tech help who seemed to know nothing about the units, it could take 45 mins simply spelling your personal details so they can give you a case number. They will also need the serial codes from the box or back of the unit, so tell him to have all that ready or his conversation with the tech guys will normally end until he has it. They will also ask what firmware version he's running and ask him to upgrade to the latest if there is one. They will most likely run him through a soft restart then a hard restart and run the unit on the boat between each of these. Ive been through this on 12in hds mk 3 units only to find firmware updates were the issue and getting the unit back to pre updates was a nightmare. This wasn't just Lowrance but Simrad evo 3 to. Im not alone with these issues, Navico need to lift their act.

Hopefully your friend has checked all electrical contacts and has a fully charged battery. For sounders I like to go direct to the 12v battery and not through any bus bars or fuse panels (still have it fused). I also like to have the battery voltage displayed on the head unit from the menu setup. The slightest bit of corrosion on wires can cause issues with sounders.

Alll good stuff but I still think my way is better.

17 hours ago, JDP said:

Yes,We’ve gone through all the basics , power , connections etc .