28th Nov Bristol Channel

jonnyswamp

After perusing the forecast and seeing 20 knt gusts coming North East, my chosen mark was soon discounted 

Through the 7.30 lock we go and head over to the sheltered Ladye bay, just North of Clevedon pier

Not too bad a trip over considering we were against the wind and tide, with anything over 12/14 knts a bit uncomfortable in the deeper parts of the channel

Dropped the anchor quite close in and, between the four of us, had 10 rods out with Lug, Rag, Squid, Prawn, Mackerel and Bluey as baits

A small Codling first cast was the sign of things to come (or not) but we could dream

Nothing on all 10 rods with only another smaller codling after an hour or so until around 10 ish when a plump 6lb 10oz Cod was netted and hopes of a decent run of fish were high

Alas, apart from me missing a thumping knock, that was it for the ebb

Spoke with a charter who had stayed over Cardiff/Penarth and all he had was one or two dogs and a Blonde ray, but said it was lumpy, uncomfortable and wished he had followed us up to Clevedon

So with that snippet of info, I decided to stay put in relatively flat water

A couple of Congers to 10/12lb just after slack provided a bit of much needed action until we had a bit of water running, then back out with the uptiders

Not a sniff on any of the rods, apart from the odd weed knock, so we decided to pack in around 2.30, pull the anchor and make our way slowly back to Cardiff

It's usually a 35/40 min run back, but running with the wind and against the tide made it a lot longer and interesting to say the least (especially with the the fog) the slow run back gave me the opportunity to see and save a few interesting marks with one looking very promising

The weren't too many boats anchored around Cardiff/Penarth, don't know if they went further west or had simply gone back in early because it wouldn't have been nice fishing with the strong wind holding the boats side on

Through the 3.45 lock, tied up by3.55, home by 4.50, showered and in the pub by 5.10 to watch the second half of a pile of shit

Role on next week (not the rugby though, I've disowned Wales atm)

Thanks for the report. 
I can’t quite motivate myself to go fishing at the moment, the fear of constant whiting (merlangius merlanhus for Fisty) just isn’t so appealing. I think I’ll go and put the outside lights up and have a good ol’ swearing session. 
Funny old game of rugby, the refs interpretation of scrummaging laws certainly help the good guys (white) out. 
Sampson Lee looked pretty fucked off when he got bought off, I wouldn’t have liked to have got on his way last night. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Thanks for the report. 
I can’t quite motivate myself to go fishing at the moment, the fear of constant whiting (merlangius merlanhus for Fisty) just isn’t so appealing. I think I’ll go and put the outside lights up and have a good ol’ swearing session. 
Funny old game of rugby, the refs interpretation of scrummaging laws certainly help the good guys (white) out. 
Sampson Lee looked pretty fucked off when he got bought off, I wouldn’t have liked to have got on his way last night. 

I've lost a bit of interest in the rugby atm, Pivac trying his way and it ain't working

The WRU are fools, after Gatland left they should have done whatever it took to keep Edwards as coach, but they refused to extend his contract and he (quite rightly) walked

Leaving the team to pretty much start from scratch, we've gone from being way up there with the best to playing like a Sunday morning pub side

Anyway, what size do your whiting go, lovely eating fish them