Not a boat

suzook12

Got some more done yesterday and today along with fixing the lads bike after frying his clutch......

So basically the main loom is laid out and I've started connecting the ends up and sheaving the loom where necessary.

The fuse box area is all in......

wiring3.thumb.jpg.2d83eab61a63a492d482cb36cd6a58c7.jpg

The ignition wire ends connected

wiring2.thumb.jpg.e1ea6c2841166c64a4c3a797c1f73d15.jpg

wiring1.thumb.jpg.e1ff6aefecd424a405c5183a424780a2.jpg

Currently have the tail light to bits ready for the fresh wires.....

wiring4.thumb.jpg.35c0f2e13bad92e9acbff58590662e12.jpg

That leaves the front end to connect up to the switchgear, install a reg.rec and get that connected, install a horn and connect up and put a battery on and fuses and we good to go.

So far I have used heatshrink and spiral wrap for the main loom, and some plastic tubing for peripherals. There is a lot going on under the seat, and more wiring to add under there yet (charging system) so it's important to use a colour coding you understand. Try and use wires with colour tracers instead of plain colours, you can then use a primary colour for a wiring system then tracer colours to identify it, say white stripe= fused and switched supply, red stripe= unswitched but fused supply etc so if you have any problems you can get straight in to the right circuit...... And draw a wiring diagram first!!

• 2 weeks later...

Progressed this quite a bit today. Having already finished off the tail light a couple of days ago, it was time to tie in to the front end. I decided I would use a multi plug under the tank then bullets at the front end to connect to switchgear etc...... I also decided to leave plenty of excess rather than "just right" lengths.

undertank.thumb.jpg.59f5b97b674af71f385148c02ce5e9c1.jpg

behindlight.thumb.jpg.55ce244d245248c55ad678cb9bf4612b.jpg

I made some temporary battery leads up to check things out and an oversize battery, not enough life for the bike it came off but ample for this one...

underseat1.thumb.jpg.df878445ae9df54ea892be4328cac1c6.jpg

So far so good.....

taillight.thumb.jpg.4cd431a7408fabb5c6f8322f56535ddb.jpg

headlight.thumb.jpg.c8631ec64a0d150418a06c2d80da094b.jpg

Sooo, after that, there was only one thing for it, Drop the tank back on and give it a whirl...

Second kick and running sweetly.

All that is left now is:-

• Mount and wire in a reg rec
  • Fit and wire a horn
  • Fit and wire a bulb for speedo head
  • Change headlight for an H4 unit with pilot light
  • Mount and wire brake light switch
  • Make proper battery leads and fit new battery

That will see the wiring finished other than a bit of tidying and charging checks.

Toolsforjob.thumb.jpg.8843661f4422d1384b716b2311d7d480.jpg

Ta 👍

One thing this bike lacks is space. Reckon, when it comes to doing the boats, they will be much tidier as have plenty of space. Will draw up a proper wiring diagram then tho, this one I've done without a diagram, sorta made it up as we went, but done quite a few bikes over the years 😉

More done today..... Found a reg/rec to put on, so made a temporary bracket for it as the one I want to make requires welding and no gas.....

Reg/rec fitted up and alternator wired in. I have a single phase alternator (2 wires) and a 3 phase reg/rec (3 alternator wires). This is because it will have a 3 phase alternator in the future, so all you do is run 2 wires from the reg/rec to one of the wires from the alternator. The output is wired to the battery. I have left the battery on so I can check the voltage to make sure that the reg/rec doesn't pull the batter down, if it does I will need to add a relay so it is electrically disconnected when the ignition is off. Early indication is that the bike is charging ok.

I also found a brake light switch lurking in the background, so wired that in too.

No pics as forgot my phone, but will get some next time

10 hours ago, suzook12 said:

More done today..... Found a reg/rec to put on, so made a temporary bracket for it as the one I want to make requires welding and no gas.....

Reg/rec fitted up and alternator wired in. I have a single phase alternator (2 wires) and a 3 phase reg/rec (3 alternator wires). This is because it will have a 3 phase alternator in the future, so all you do is run 2 wires from the reg/rec to one of the wires from the alternator. The output is wired to the battery. I have left the battery on so I can check the voltage to make sure that the reg/rec doesn't pull the batter down, if it does I will need to add a relay so it is electrically disconnected when the ignition is off. Early indication is that the bike is charging ok.

I also found a brake light switch lurking in the background, so wired that in too.

No pics as forgot my phone, but will get some next time

Good effort. You make the electrics sound simple when we all know it's hard to keep the smoke inside the wires. Well done 👍

Checked the battery today, 12.37V so it's gone up. That's good, so all I have to do is run a fuse inline and that's the charging taken care of. Fitted new petrol taps and tank mounting rubbers etc today alongside helping the lad learn to use a mill for drilling studs out and retapping. The truck is now back together, just needs an ABS sensor to finish...... For now!!

When you think you have the tools..... I have a 20 ton press in the workshop, enough to push some wheel bearings out, you'd think!! No feckin chance, even using the 4lb club hammer ast the same time as having the ram maxxed out.... Nope!! It went next door on to a 50 ton press, Chris, the owner said it took the lot before it finally gave a loud bang and the bearings pretty much dropped out!! That's getting a bit serious 50ton!! Cleaned the rust out and new wheel bearings just slid in..... Guess that'l teach me to take it wading 🤣

• 5 weeks later...

Not updated for a little bit. Currently we are waiting for the DVLA rep to view it this Friday so we can get a registration. The headlight was replaced with an H4 fitment type. New battery fitted, charging checks done, all looking good. Once DVLA guy has gone, will pop the rear wheel back out, fit new bearings and another swing arm (or repair this one....) and put the new chain on. Then front wheel out, clean up the brakes and new wheel bearings again and will be getting close....

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Good work! You must be pleased 👍👍

Its a weird process mate, 1 in 10 registration applications get subjected to random inspections. I was the lucky one lol. Basically took a few pics, inc frame and engine numbers and heard it running then left. It's now down to DVLA to decide to give me a registration, should be age related (67) and historic vehicle. This btw is the cheapest option to ULEZ, classic bikes can be bought from £1500 up and all exempt 🤣👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, suzook12 said:

Its a weird process mate, 1 in 10 registration applications get subjected to random inspections. I was the lucky one lol. Basically took a few pics, inc frame and engine numbers and heard it running then left. It's now down to DVLA to decide to give me a registration, should be age related (67) and historic vehicle. This btw is the cheapest option to ULEZ, classic bikes can be bought from £1500 up and all exempt 🤣👍

Letter arrived today, V5 on it's way. Ordered the plate already with the new number 😁