Not a boat

suzook12

Ist job was fresh oil.....

Oil.thumb.jpg.769cbe3794a9f8ee699909c838b4834e.jpg

Probably not overdue!!

At this point gave the bike a quick ride around the yard and NO brakes!!! Adjusted the rear, had a play with the cable routing at the front, readjust and we have brakes.....

Took it up the road and that gave up two things,

1 the clutch slips

2 It doesn't rev properly.......

Not wanting to split the primary at this point I cracked on with some other bits. The bars appeared bent, so they were replaced with some modern mx style bars. I also went for some more up to date lever perches with some nice dog leg levers. And a nice new set of bar grips for when she's ready. The clutch lever had to be opened out a bit on the mill to take the bigger cable nipples......

Bars.thumb.jpg.6ec65fac84c2a9a5767f508fb043f1a2.jpg

Next was to have a look at why iy wasn't revving properly. I kinda had a hunch it wasn't advancing the timing properly. Removed the point cover, points plate and was greeted with no cantrifugal arms on the posts, and dollops of weld.... A common trick with race bikes was to weld the mech up in fully advanced position to overcome erratic timing.... This had been done.... Badly!!

Enter boyer bransden ignition..... This is a modern electronic ignition to replace points. It also required different coils or a single twin coil.

I opted for the single, so ripped it all out and ripped the wiring loom out while I was there, might as well do a thorough job..... So the static timing was set up on the 38 degree mark on the alternator, magnet and back plate fitted. The back plate covered the hole the wires enter the cavity, so the plate was releived over the full adjustment range of where the hole was...

timingplate.thumb.png.7339c41a1e78a26ff90d760a0aaf6943.png

Had thought about soldering fresh wires but decided to crimp instead.......

So now I had to find a home for the new bits and decided to rearrange some others..... The reg/rec was removed, this is a single phase item and at some point this will have a later 3 phase alternator fitted. I have a 3 phase unit kicking around and that will live on the end of the battery tray in a good air stream to keep it cool.....

I bent up some flat bar and got the lad to turn up a spool piece to make a bracket for the fuse box and EI box.

Brack3.thumb.jpg.aa733e7a7c23e92831f992d1baaeb91d.jpg

I wanted something to mount the EI box on/in so bought a lump of alloy off of ebay. That arrived today and is currently sitting in the mill. This is where I am currently at. The ignition had cheap nasty crimps fitted which have all been removed. The wiring tails are sheaved in heat shrink ready

Hopefully, will finish off the EI mount tomorrow (later today). Once thats done, will wire a temporary harness for the EI to make sure we have a runner again.....

14 minutes ago, JDP said:

Nice project, I keep find myself looking at older classic bikes as Im getting older but I think the mrs wouldn't be to happy if I turned up with another bike!!!!!

Ha, this is currently number 10 in the shed (I think!!...). This "should" be a relatively short project, I have a 57 TR6 that is a much bigger project, ground up build to do next with some repairs in between....

Bit more done today. Finished off the pile of swarf, I mean holder/box for the EI

messy.thumb.jpg.09fdd6d9116aa9e195e2d19133d41097.jpg

The finished article in position

bracket1.thumb.jpg.123d189e9b5c11e085905bb3e29c9a23.jpg

Need to put a layer of foam on this then the EI cable ties into place....

Soooo, only one thing for it! After cleaning down the mill and having a sweep up around it (for those that have never used a mill, they can throw chips far and wide!!), then start the wiring. Need to order some more wire in, I use Vehicle Wiring Products, but 12V Planet do same sort of stuff, just I find them a bit dearer in comparison. Postage is such, it's easier to get everything from one place......

wiring1.thumb.jpg.03cc5e935e413a693a1eebb61cd871d5.jpg

wiring2.thumb.jpg.494231b3ba0c3a853128fc822a6bee24.jpg

So there we have it, that's it til next weekend now unless I can source some bits locally in the morning.....

I will at some point do a bit on crimps, the different types and how to do them..... Will also be using some various different sleeving etc as well....

15 hours ago, JDP said:

Wow thats a serious tinkering shed, surprised you ever get time to think about wetting a line.

Oh theres more lol, lathe standing next to the mill.... A boat on its trailer in there, collection of welders and pedestal grinders etc etc. But yeah, sometimes it can get overwhelming and you have to learn to say no....

Everything got behind when my Mum had a stroke, 4 bikes should have been finished by now and 2 sold, this will be the first one finished... Good job I enjoy it mostly.....

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Top spannering that man! Very nice bike and very nice thread. Well done. Looking forward to seeing it once it's finished. Maybe ride it to the next OO's meet?

200.gif?cid=0908006awa3dz6clde93gtj0rwfe

Ya never know!! I have a guy interested in it, whether he has the dosh is another matter. Trouble is, I buy them to sell on, then get attached to them lol, hence why I have so many..... 🤣

No joy at the local auto electrical shop this morning, so online order and wait it out it is......

The tank mounting rubbers were knackered as well, so ordered some more of them with associated hardware. Come Friday we should have another big pile of parts to crack on with.... Hopefully new cheque book will appear as well so can send the application off for a registration (£55). Have the US title for it, so no need for a dating later, unlike the TR6......

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Ya never know!! I have a guy interested in it, whether he has the dosh is another matter. Trouble is, I buy them to sell on, then get attached to them lol, hence why I have so many..... 🤣

I'm the same with lures... 🤣

Not mine, but this is what they looked like out of Meriden

1957 Triumph TR6 Trophy - GB Motorcycles

Main difference to my current project apart from being a 650, is this one has a seperate gearbox and engine (pre unit), whereas my T100 has an all in one engine/gearbox (unit)

9 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Not mine, but this is what they looked like out of Meriden

1957 Triumph TR6 Trophy - GB Motorcycles

Main difference to my current project apart from being a 650, is this one has a seperate gearbox and engine (pre unit), whereas my T100 has an all in one engine/gearbox (unit)

Nice looking bike. Good luck with the rebuild!