Sonar relief shading questions

Nature generally doesn't produce dead straight lines, so my working assumption is that they are sonar data artifacts/discrepancies produced by differing sea conditions as the survey ship passed over that swathe of sea floor. I've seen lines like that on other sea floor maps e.g. the DORIS project.

Other possibility could be tram lines left by beam trawlers, but I wouldn't expect these to start over rocky ground as the gear would get snagged.

• 1 month later...

Only time I’ve heard same comment of nature not producing straight lines was about Vietnam war and booby traps left for US soldiers. People who set the traps marked them with horizontal sticks up high which, if you’re used to jungle environment sticks out like a sore thumb

Anyway I digress, with Navionics has anyone noticed a deterioration in the lower zoom quality since the relief shading ‘upgrade’ I think bag-o-shite and others have said same. Upgrade took away a couple of options to use different colours on lower zoom, think they’ve fixed the crashing bug if no phone signal 

Erm the charts are not thst accurate, they are a computer interpolation on the data which then is used to produce a rendered image of the bottom…. 

So basically the simulation data will have some parts that are a guess, hence the straight lines…

Strangely enough to the north and south of the Tyne there are two areas that are heavily fished and these areas have great shading, however the sandy bits between where people are hitting warp speed are just bland looking with no features, but if I kayak over it I am sure that I would find a feature or two worthy of a dangle.