Live baiting

I have been going out when possible between storms to throw mainly small baits at dabs and whiting and hoping a codling might like a nibble too. The first two ️ but as for codling they are in short supply unless you have a small fortune to waste on peeler and cart and even then the fish have been small. 

Last night I went out with my scratching gear and my heavy gear the idea was to have fun on the scratching gear and have the other rod set up to hopefully catch a whiting on the lower hook (no. 2) attached to a 6/0 manta extra an inch or so above. I had used a similar set up when I lived in Cornwall but didn't even get the pouting I was after for bait. I was hopeful as after I set out the big rod I put out the scratching rig and had bites within a minute that resulted in a double shot of whiting and dab. I eventually got a dab on the bigger rod on the last cast, I thought whiting when I saw the bite ! 

Anyway, does anyone use this from the boat before I waste my time? Yes I could scratch for whiting and put one on a heavier rig but a lot of the time they get affected by the pressure change and handling. 

Edited by Malc

I know the rig you're thinking of, but not tried it myself, and to be fair I've not had any success when live baiting for big conger - they seem to prefer fresh dead bait or squid. Wonder if cod might be the same - easy meal, lazy fish.

22 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I know the rig you're thinking of, but not tried it myself, and to be fair I've not had any success when live baiting for big conger - they seem to prefer fresh dead bait or squid. Wonder if cod might be the same - easy meal, lazy fish.

I don't think cod are prolific hunters, more grazers. They're not called the cows of the sea for nothing...... or did I make that up??

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don't think cod are prolific hunters, more grazers. They're not called the cows of the sea for nothing...... or did I make that up??

Not heard them called cows before. Should I be using grass for bait?

#sothatswhereivebeengoingwrong

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Not heard them called cows before. Should I be using grass for bait?

#sothatswhereivebeengoingwrong

You go wrong on so many different levels. 
Sea cows and bucket mouths, that's what I've heard/herd them called. 

They are both bucket mouthed and good hunters, I had one of around 7-8lb on a soft plastic lure and as I went to pick it up by the gills a good sized brown crab dropped into my palm!

When gutting them they are usually found to have fish (flats, blennies and other bottom dwelling fish) and crustaceans in them unless it's the height of summer when they are full of sandeel and/or sprats. 

Anyway I will try it when the weather calms down a bit. 

Hey @Malc.. I know you asked 'boats' but I'll through some shore knowledge in!!

Chesil / Brizzle Channel Codin, pully or up and over then tie off a short hook length beneath a gaff. 7/o or 8/o. School of thought, size 4 or 6 baited with small worm squid bait. Allows for streaming and maximum range when casting, for example hitting clay patches at Chesil we know that are at distance. Draw backs with the method are obviously your not wanting to regularly check the end as you may have a perfect live bait sat on it.. though sounds like you've got this weighed off with a scratching rod beside..

Live baits are always more likely to be picked up and the theory about Cod hoovering up whatever doesn't stack up in my experience..

Another method worth considering is a bait sliding rig, especially when the Cod are up in the water, when they've turned onto sprats for example. 

As with all live baiting, it's all or nothing. Whatever you connect with is going to be worth while... Conger are a regular bycatch along Chesil and Brizzle worth tying heavy leaders.. I know a man that does just the job! 👌

Oh, save some Whiting for Spring Thornies.. nearly as good as (fresh frozen, not the shop bought frozen) Mackerel! 

As above….

Small hook (size 2) but of worm on it and hopefully you’ll get a whiting. This tied to an 8/0. 

this is what we used to use for the cod in the Bristol Channel from the shore when we had lots of big cod. There was a guy called Mike Jones who caught 30lb+ cod off the shore at Ogmore deeps doing this. I once gaffed a 28lb cod off Swansea breakwater as a kid by an angler doing exactly the same thing. It was a tactic widely used on Dungeness back in the day when there were big cod to be caught…

• 3 weeks later...

Have been giving it further attempts and last night I thought I had it sussed. I got to the pier as the sun set and set up the rig with half a sprat as bait. This was quickly found by crabs and possibly dabs and stripped, same with the next cast so I changed to mackerel strip but I didn't just leave it hanging off the bend but double hooked it and again using elastic to help keep it on. Once it was dark I started getting whiting rattles and eventually the ratchet screamed and I hit it. No real weight, so back into the rod rest and again a couple of rattles and then the ratchet screamed again and again no real weight so I reeled in and could feel a little kick and find a 3/4lb whiting on the lower hook! It would have to be a decent cod to nobble that but hey-ho it's a learning curve!

Edited by Malc

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

Have been giving it further attempts and last night I thought I had it sussed. I got to the pier as the sun set and set up the rig with half a sprat as bait. This was quickly found by crabs and possibly dabs and stripped, same with the next cast so I changed to mackerel strip but I didn't just leave it hanging off the bend but double hooked it and again using elastic to help keep it on. Once it was dark I started getting whiting rattles and eventually the ratchet screamed and I hit it. No real weight, so back into the rod rest and again a couple of rattles and then the ratchet screamed again and again no real weight so I reeled in and could feel a little kick and find a 3/4lb whiting on the lower hook! It would have to be a decent cod to nobble that but hey-ho it's a learning curve!

Top marks for perseverance. It always amazes me how small fish can fit big hooks into their gobs.