New to me reel

I bought two of the smaller 12’s on the strength of some old guys endorsement. 
Great reels, so smooth and precise compared to the Abu  and Penn reels that I was used to. The extra cost over is well worth it and if you got a bargain even better still. 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

Great reels, so smooth and precise compared to the Abu  and Penn reels that I was used to. The extra cost over is well worth it and if you got a bargain even better still. 

I bought an ABU 6000C, 2nd hand, in the 70's and its still going well and I was told at the time that they were a lifetime buy, and I would not normally splash out £300+ on a reel so it was never on my mind to buy, but seeing it in the shop window I thought that it was a cheap so googled it and then slowly ran in and asked to see it.

Lovely tight action and hopefully it will see me out just like the ABU.

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

I bought an ABU 6000C, 2nd hand, in the 70's and its still going well and I was told at the time that they were a lifetime buy, and I would not normally splash out £300+ on a reel so it was never on my mind to buy, but seeing it in the shop window I thought that it was a cheap so googled it and then slowly ran in and asked to see it.

Lovely tight action and hopefully it will see me out just like the ABU.

Does the 20 have the mind numbing constant ratchet clicker thing? 
If so it’s easily removed- the grumpy old guy showed me how to do it. 

On 11/10/2023 at 5:09 PM, JonC said:

I have 6 of the 12's, 2 of the 16's, and 2 of the 2 speed 2011's, which I pair with Kenzaki 30 - 50's for conger, shark, and Ray.

The only issue I have had is the pinion bearing on one on the 12's, just a tiny spot of water got into the reel and whilst unused for 3 weeks the bearing locked up solid (just one tiny spot of rust on it). Once stripped it was easy to free off, but for your info, the bearing size is common to that which is used in skateboard wheels, so the standard bearing is cheap as chips (about £5 for 10 !), however, I went for the skateboarders upgrade and used a bearing with ceramic balls and a stainless (316) bearing case (£5 ish each), so hopefully it will never happen again. I stayed away from a fully ceramic as the case can shatter and removing all the bits from the reel would be a world of pain.

Edited by GPSguru

On 11/10/2023 at 8:33 PM, JonC said:

Does the 20 have the mind numbing constant ratchet clicker thing? 
If so it’s easily removed- the grumpy old guy showed me how to do it. 

All the smaller reels use a sprag bearing (one way bearing), so yes, you can remove the safety pawl and spring. I also remove the brake sleeves as I like a fast thumb controlled drop from the boat.

However, the 2 speed 2011 (also 3011 and 4011) has 2 of the pawls (which create more of a high pitched whine). I removed both and to my horror, the reel has a standard bearing, so then I had no anti reverse, I guess that is why they fitted 2 of them for safety.

I gave both pawls a very good dose of CV grease (molybdenum disulphide grease) and it quietens them down a huge amount, making using the reel OK, not quite silent, but also not annoying.