low budget SPJ for newbies

Posted (edited)

Fishing from a boat is still a bit of a novelty for me, but watching youtube people slow pitch jigging and reading reports here and elsewhere it look like good fun. I only lure fish and we won't be going miles out on our little boat but I thought I would scratch together a budget set up for light SPJ up to 20m. Only lure fishing means I only have small fixed spool reels and I dont want to invest in a multiplier as I have no idea about them whatsoever. So finding a SPJ rod rung for this had been holding me back but one surfaced on the Veals website https://www.veals.co.uk/product/rapture-deep-fall-slow-pitch-spinning-100gm/. It looks OK for a fraction of the price of the more heavy duty tools.

AP1GczPApBP5PhVyFlVoXHfi1KcfpB_Nl_2xxEe1

I have some multicolour j-Braid on order.

I also bought a few jigs, and some smaller casting and or pitching jigs which arrived today from Joker who are local to me and I am hoping work on the local fish! I think they look pretty good. I did email the guy that sells them asking for advice on which ones for more inshore areas but never got a response 😒 so did a bit of guessing on colours 😕.

AP1GczOVk6g7vOpylPqj0D89IPrQjNSHj3rEcYxz

Anyway I don't suppose we will hit the water until June, but when we do I will update the thread if they work or not, and whether a fixed spool reel just generated wind knots! Might throw the casting ones about a bit before that though.

Anybody else try SPJ in shallower water?

Cheers

Roger

Edited by RogB

1 hour ago, RogB said:

Fishing from a boat is still a bit of a novelty for me, but watching youtube people slow pitch jigging and reading reports here and elsewhere it look like good fun. I only lure fish and we won't be going miles out on our little boat but I thought I would scratch together a budget set up for light SPJ up to 20m. Only lure fishing means I only have small fixed spool reels and I dont want to invest in a multiplier as I have no idea about them whatsoever. So finding a SPJ rod rung for this had been holding me back but one surfaced on the Veals website https://www.veals.co.uk/product/rapture-deep-fall-slow-pitch-spinning-100gm/. It looks OK for a fraction of the price of the more heavy duty tools.

AP1GczPApBP5PhVyFlVoXHfi1KcfpB_Nl_2xxEe1

I have some multicolour j-Braid on order.

I also bought a few jigs, and some smaller casting and or pitching jigs which arrived today from Joker who are local to me and I am hoping work on the local fish! I think they look pretty good. I did email the guy that sells them asking for advice on which ones for more inshore areas but never got a response 😒 so did a bit of guessing on colours 😕.

AP1GczOVk6g7vOpylPqj0D89IPrQjNSHj3rEcYxz

Anyway I don't suppose we will hit the water until June, but when we do I will update the thread if they work or not, and whether a fixed spool reel just generated wind knots! Might throw the casting ones about a bit before that though.

Anybody else try SPJ in shallower water?

Cheers

Roger

Joker lures is Matt Forrester, who skippers Silver Halo out of Torquay. Matt used to launch his worrier 175 from Polly Steps before he got his commercial ticket. 

Him and I have both been fishing SPJ since about 2016. If you ever get the chance, take a trip out to the wrecks with him, you will learn a lot.

TBH spj with a mangle is not ideal, much better with a palm sized multi.

I was hoping to get out tomorrow but it is a short sea, so mega uncomfortable, but I might get out Saturday.

Yep, take a look at any of my shore jigging posts from down in Fowey. It's a killer method for a wide variety of species using just 20g and 30g jigs.

Colours not so important as weight to get down quickly if from a boat/yak and flutter nicely. Obviously from shore it needs to be within the designated casting weight of the rod in question but I've found it to be a more effective than regular plastic/soft plastic lures.

A normal spinning rod will be fine from a yak. Don't need spiral wrapped SPJ rods unless going for heavier (200g+) jigs and bigger species in my (admittedly limited) view.

Edited to say Ian ( @GPSguru) is probably right about jigging multi's vs FS/spinning reels. It's easier to feel that the jig has hit the bottom with a multi and therefore avoid snags, and they generally have larger drag surface areas, meaning smoother drag actions and therefore less chance of snapping off when tightening the drag.

Thanks both, I will take a look at your posts Andy. I've read much of this site and pretty much all of Ian's posts as its all good info for me. We will probably see if we can get out with Matt at some point. I'm off to Croyde for the weekend, pretending to surf, but will pack a rod and some lures. Hope you manage to get out Ian if you decide to go - I look forward to another catch report to glean info from!