What’s best for filling a hole

Last summer the dog laid down under my rear bench seat, rolled over and ripped the leg out. I scraped the hole and tried to glue the leg back in. But the top of the hole is now so thin the strip of teak on the top side has split and coming away. It needs sticking back down which will be fine. But I need something to stick it to. The hole where the leg bracket sits now has no bottom/top to it. What’s the best substance to fill the hole and re fix the leg bracket to??

Can you take off the bench seat altogether? If so, I'd remove it and tape off the top of the hole, then turn the bench over and fill the hole with epoxy to the desired depth, which should give you a strong enough surface to re-fix the leg to.

14 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Can you take off the bench seat altogether? If so, I'd remove it and tape off the top of the hole, then turn the bench over and fill the hole with epoxy to the desired depth, which should give you a strong enough surface to re-fix the leg to.

Epoxy is a resin right?

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Can you recommend one?

TBH for this job, any squeezy tubes of epoxy would do. Araldite or similar. From memory your bench legs are what, 30mm diameter? So a couple of 15ml twin tube  packs would likely be enough to give sufficient depth to your fix. Or if not, make up a plug of marine ply, just undersized, and use the epoxy to fix that in the hole instead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Araldite-Ultra-Strong-Adhesive-Standard/dp/B00K2Z5O2C/ref=asc_df_B00K2Z5O2C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=207994943462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=878423880098437636&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007009&hvtargid=pla-716621117969&psc=1

31 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

you are not having much luck are you.  might be an idear that you have a good look at the seat to see if it neads any tlc while it is not fixed to the boat.

All part of the joys of boat ownership Pete!