Hunting the plaice

Cuda4

Well this will not be a long report,after our trip last week to the blocks at Southsea we decided to try and give Hayling Bay a bash on Sunday for a day of plaice fishing,dropped anchor at about 6.54am and within 10 minutes I had one hooked although only weighed in at just over the 1lb and was returned to get bigger I was hopefull for some action for the rest of the day,but sorry to say that was the only orange spotted fish to hit the net,after that it was only doggers that took the hook,tried various baits,ragworm,lug and squid, I gave tipping the hook with squid as all that seem to do was attract the vermin, I did have a really good take on one of the rods which got me all excited,this was rigged with two hooks and only when reeled to the surface to find two doggers had taken the baits.

Still good to get out as i think the weather will not be looking good for this weekend so will have to find some jobs to do on the boat to keep me busy.

Steve

Well done for getting out Steve, and well done for finding your target species. Always good when a plan works out 👍

What sort of bling do you use on your plaice rigs then? I tend to use black and green beads. Any recommendations to improve my catch rate?

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What sort of bling do you use on your plaice rigs then? I tend to use black and green beads. Any recommendations to improve my catch rate?

I'm sure I'm using the same as the rest of the dozen or so boats that were around us on Sunday,a spoon with beads,one rod had green and black the other orange and yellow,both rods had a second hook with just beads. The plaice fell to the spoon with orange and yellow beads but it was most likely the snake like ragworm that attracted it 😂

Good work on finding the one plaice Steve. I also only had one on Sunday around 22cm. Mine fell to a naked hook length. I had a double trace out, one had a spoon and a couple of orange beads and as I said the other blank trace just a hook. Both hook lengths had the same rag bait. 

You did better than us,  we headed down to the middle grounds and drifted for the Plaice,  tide was perfect but the wind was pushing along a bit too quick.  End result no Plaice.  Stopped off at Boulder on the way back just nosing to see if the Bream were going to make an early appearance but hey no Bream either,  just a couple of dogs to show for our efforts