Senile Decay

Plaicehunter

Just now, Andy135 said:

Top dangling as always PH! 👍👍

With your success rate I reckon you'll have a really big girl in the boat before long 🤞

Thanks, Andy! While I'm convinced some big bass stay in the river year-round, most of the fish at this time of year are schoolies. Most of the bigger fish are not yet back from spawning.

I haven't yet discovered how to select the bigger fish; so far it's a question of catching lots of bass and the odd one will be big. My best two last year were 7-10 and 8-6, so I'm hoping for a double this year.

All my bass go back and I fish barbless, which probably costs me a few fish. Today I really appreciated the ease of unhooking, with one treble in my glove and another in the bass's mouth!

This was my eight-pounder. PH

IMG-20200929-WA0002.jpg

I seem to remember a theory that the bigger fish lie lower in the water and let the current bring food to them rather than chasing stuff up in the water column like schoolies do. If this is true then a weighted SP like a FBM or SG Sand Eel bumped along the bottom might help to locate the bigger specimens?

28 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I seem to remember a theory that the bigger fish lie lower in the water and let the current bring food to them rather than chasing stuff up in the water column like schoolies do. If this is true then a weighted SP like a FBM or SG Sand Eel bumped along the bottom might help to locate the bigger specimens?

I'm not experienced enough to give a view, but all my best fish last year came to surface lures (probably because I fish those whenever possible).

The 7-10 was on a Sakura Mousty, the 8-6 on a Patchinko 125 in 500G. PH