Which anchor rope

Bought and fitted a new Quick Aries windlass just after I bought my boat as the old one was shot

It will take 12 or 14mm rope, but the 14mm rope I bought just doesn't fall into the locker properly

It usually gets stuck on the gypsy and jams as it goes past the prong that is supposed to direct it into the locker

This also happened with the original 12mm nylon that was on the first windlass, I thought a change to 14mm would cure it

The new rope feels very supple and where it gets caught, there are now loops

Should the rope be stiffer ?

Have I bought cheap ?

Any recommendations as to a make of rope that you use ?

Ive had the same issue with all the windlass’ I’ve ever had. Although they will take rope, the rope never falls as quickly as the windlass can bring it in. Hence it backs up and jams. I have a remote control that I had fitted that hangs around my neck allowing me to go up front and control the windlass with one hand whilst helping the rope lay in the locker with the other. Most anchor lockers are just not deep enough for rope. 100% chain would be a better option for fall free jamming. 
Ive considered this, but the cost and the weight on the bow just put me off. 
that’s why the remote was a better option for me. 

I think multi strand will be my next move, like you I’ve tried polyester 12 and 14 and nylon in 12 currently. I think mine needs to be a lot harder to stop bedding into the gypsy 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I think multi strand will be my next move, like you I’ve tried polyester 12 and 14 and nylon in 12 currently. I think mine needs to be a lot harder to stop bedding into the gypsy 

My current rode is multi strand. It makes absolutely no difference and was a waste of money. 

What’s annoying is if you buy a short length to test out its then useless once you get a full coil, or if you go all in for the coil first then it’s even worse when it’s wrong. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

To try and make room in the anchor locker in the hope that it would fall better. The multi strand is pretty strong and has no problem holding my boat at 4 tonne. 

Yes the boat may weigh 4 tons but you are never putting 4 kilo Newton’s on the rope, it’s not a dead lift. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well no but it’s still pretty strong for a thin rode. That was the point 

Year but you are comparing mass to force which you need to accept are different 

30 minutes ago, JonC said:

That is the exact problem with mine, rope is too soft and seems to stretch and bed in too much

I had a Lewmar V700 on my last boat and that was fine

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

That is the exact problem with mine, rope is too soft and seems to stretch and bed in too much

I’d of thought too/to/two hard a rope will fail to pass into the anchor locker properly, causing it to/two/too jam in the opening. A softer rope will or should fall vertically quicker and easier. The basic fact is, windlass are not really designed for rope, even though they will take it. 

I’d of thought too/to/two hard a rope will fail to pass into the anchor locker properly, causing it to/two/too jam in the opening. A softer rope will or should fall vertically quicker and easier. The basic fact is, windlass are not really designed for rope, even though they will take it. 

I see what you're saying, but the soft rope just stretches, jams in the gypsy and goes around again. Stopping the windlass

A stiffer rope would/should be pushed into the anchor locker and fall as it should ?

May have to get 200ft of 8mm chain, quite a bit of weight on the bow then though

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I have a pro fish 700, the horizontal one . 
https://youtube.com/shorts/LytXJnofSxc?feature=share

I see what you're saying, but the soft rope just stretches, jams in the gypsy and goes around again. Stopping the windlass

A stiffer rope would/should be pushed into the anchor locker and fall as it should ?

May have to get 200ft of 8mm chain, quite a bit of weight on the bow then though

You could change the gypsy and go down to 6mm chain. Will save a fair bit of weight and cash. 
btw, are you 100% the gypsy you have is the correct size? If your rode sticks it sounds like the gypsy is small. Have you rang the manufacturer for tech assistance? 

My 3 plait 12mm is quite stiff and I find it catches on the opposite side of the hawse hole then backs up into the gypsy, causing a jam.

Seems like no rope is ideal.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

My 3 plait 12mm is quite stiff and I find it catches on the opposite side of the hawse hole then backs up into the gypsy, causing a jam.

Seems like no rope is ideal.

Like I said, the best operation is with 100% chain. Rode just doesn’t work whatever it is. 

You could change the gypsy and go down to 6mm chain. Will save a fair bit of weight and cash. 
btw, are you 100% the gypsy you have is the correct size? If your rode sticks it sounds like the gypsy is small. Have you rang the manufacturer for tech assistance? 

I'm pretty sure 8mm is stamped on the gypsy and the blurb said 12 or 14mm rope

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I seldom fish in more than 30/40’ of water so I could carry 100-120 of chain with rope on it without weighing too much. Never have a problem then . 

So what’s the ratio for chain of rope is 3-4 times depth?