Mid Channel wrecks

Scotch_Egg2012

3 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Moved on the the next one full of expectation that sadly didn't materialise and that was the flavour for the rest of the day, wreck after wreck we ended up doing 15 wrecks in total each either giving us good takes or the odd fish.

15 wrecks ! ........... that is a long day 👍

I used to do that, but these days I just concentrate on 3 or 4 at a time. You have found the same as us, just the odd fish here and there and about the same stamp of fish.

The Plymouth charters have been fishing the wrecks to the west of Plymouth with some quite reasonable results. The charters out of Brixham are now heading to the west and fishing the Salcombe area wrecks. They have found some decent fish in the last week, so it is only a matter of time before the wrecks to the east become populated.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

15 wrecks ! ........... that is a long day 👍

I used to do that, but these days I just concentrate on 3 or 4 at a time. You have found the same as us, just the odd fish here and there and about the same stamp of fish.

The Plymouth charters have been fishing the wrecks to the west of Plymouth with some quite reasonable results. The charters out of Brixham are now heading to the west and fishing the Salcombe area wrecks. They have found some decent fish in the last week, so it is only a matter of time before the wrecks to the east become populated.

Luckily where we were is a quite a good concentration of wrecks so not too much mileage in between,  it seemed that once we caught 1 or 2 on a wreck we'd get no more takes time to move on. 

14 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Luckily where we were is a quite a good concentration of wrecks so not too much mileage in between,  it seemed that once we caught 1 or 2 on a wreck we'd get no more takes time to move on. 

I guess depending on how much water you are in it may spook the fish on some marks? 

4 hours ago, JonC said:

I guess depending on how much water you are in it may spook the fish on some marks? 

I'm a novice as far as the wrecking goes so I've no idea,  deepest wreck was just shy of 250ft shallowest around 170ft.  I wondered whether the commotion caused by the hooked fish spooked the remaining fish it's something that happens with mullet, quite often the swim will die after a fish is hooked for around 45 mins even if there were quite a few fish present. 

9 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I'm a novice as far as the wrecking goes so I've no idea,  deepest wreck was just shy of 250ft shallowest around 170ft.  I wondered whether the commotion caused by the hooked fish spooked the remaining fish it's something that happens with mullet, quite often the swim will die after a fish is hooked for around 45 mins even if there were quite a few fish present. 

In that depth I wouldn’t think that spooking would be a thing,  but it is strange why you have the dead period after a fish is landed. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

In that depth I wouldn’t think that spooking would be a thing,  but it is strange why you have the dead period after a fish is landed. 

It usually occurs when the fish population on the wreck is quite small. I often wondered whether it it is due to lack of competition for food and to catch the lure colour and lure action has to be exactly spot on. I have continued to fish these sort of wrecks rather than moving, and you often catch some more fish but you get a good many blank drifts inbetween catching. 

On densely populated wrecks 2 or 3 fish per drift is the norm.

I have never noticed fish spooking over the wrecks when fishing in 60ft - 300ft. Fish scientists have confirmed that sonar pings also do not effect or spook the fish.

Edited by GPSguru