Impeller change

Saintly Fish

52 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

My next job is to change the raw water impeller. Do I need an impeller pulley or will a pair of pliers suffice ?

I usually manage to pull mine out with a pair of pliers. Didn’t you do it when you stripped your heat exchanger? Or should I say did Gary do it? 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I usually manage to pull mine out with a pair of pliers. Didn’t you do it when you stripped your heat exchanger? Or should I say did Gary do it? 

No it wasn’t done then. By me or Tom. 

Just now, JonC said:

I’m not doing mine this service as I’ve only done about 20 hours since I changed it, none of the ones I’ve previously changed have shown any sign of ware

That was my thinking. But the more I read about it, the more I’m inclined to do it. For the sake of a tenner it’s not worth the gamble. 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That was my thinking. But the more I read about it, the more I’m inclined to do it. For the sake of a tenner it’s not worth the gamble. 

Mine is £35 but it’s a bollock ache doing it 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

They all look the same 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes they do but I assume there is different quality ones available. I know price and quality are not always tangible but it seems too cheap. But as I said I know nothing of impellers. 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yes they do but I assume there is different quality ones available. I know price and quality are not always tangible but it seems too cheap. But as I said I know nothing of impellers. 

Me neither. But I did buy two. So if one breaks I’ll change it. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Me neither. But I did buy two. So if one breaks I’ll change it. 

Good thinking. I’m sure you’ll do just fine changing it, not like that clown with the trailer brakes

59 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Agree. Even though an impeller looks good an mint, when they get older they tend to shed their vanes with no real warning !

If it is done, then you have confidence to trust it.

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Agree. Even though an impeller looks good an mint, when they get older they tend to shed their vanes with no real warning !

If it is done, then you have confidence to trust it.

I do mine yearly usually I’m only  leaving this year as it’s been out of the water for 4 months of the 10 since I did it. 

On 5/22/2021 at 6:12 PM, Saintly Fish said:

All done. The removed impeller was in perfect condition. But who knows for how long. It’d been in for two years already. 

887DEED4-1471-4280-9DA2-3D47924ABCD9.jpeg.59d3a1de29d25d71e09d704606ec622b.jpeg

Try a bit less sealer next time mate, that will spill out on the inside also and get removed by the impellor and shoved through the system. Cut the external excess off with a scalpel, looks better then (obviously more of an issue on bike engine cases). Other than that, keep up the good work 👍

14 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Try a bit less sealer next time mate

That photo steve was before I took the cover plate off. It’s old sealer. I had a new gasket kit for it. All was cleaned off and surfaces made smooth. 👍🏻