Boat won’t go fully in reverse

Boston

Hi Boston,

To help properly we'll need a bit more information. What engine do you have? Inboard/outboard? Cable throttle or fly-by-wire?

Initial guess would be that your inner cable has corroded somewhere inside the sheath (replacement cable is usually the best fix) but without knowing what engine and throttle activation you have it's hard to say more. 

Hi thanks for getting back to me it’s an old mercury 60hp with cable throttle.

recently installed mercury 2nd gen throttle with new cables also.

the linkage in the cables on engine are at max and can’t adjust anymore.

the throttle is pretty stiff goes all the way forward but only part way back into reverse so slow reverse.

also the Rev button is not working so have to start the engine in forward to get the boat started 🤦‍♂️

Thanks again 

If the cables are new then it sounds like an adjustment issue. Who installed the new cables? If it was a professional installer then it's probably worth a chat with them to see if they will come out and fix the adjustment issue (should have been set up correctly at the time of installation).

Can you post up some pics of your throttle and gear selector linkages under the cowling?

Lastly, you mention your outboard is an "old" Mercury. What year is it and are you 100% certain that it is compatible with the 2nd gen remote control unit?

1 hour ago, Boston said:

also the Rev button is not working so have to start the engine in forward to get the boat started 🤦‍♂️

Thanks again 

Even on an old Merc, you should not be able to do that as there is a safety  neutral interlock switch that operates and only allows you to start the engine in neutral.

I assume you are using a side mount remote, and it sounds to me like it is either the wrong remote or the cables are incorrectly connected.

Ok thanks the safety neutral switch is not currently connected need to wire it in.

It’s a top mount throttle.

I have disconnected the cable at engine and tried to put the throttle in reverse but the throttle still doesn’t go all the way backwards 

Thanks again 

10 minutes ago, Boston said:

I have disconnected the cable at engine and tried to put the throttle in reverse but the throttle still doesn’t go all the way backwards 

If the throttle lever won't go all the way back, then try disconnecting the cables at the remote control end then test again. This will indicate whether it's an issue with the remote control unit or the cable. If the lever works as it should with the cable disconnected, then it'll be the cable binding inside the sheath, either due to corrosion or perhaps the cable strands are breaking and binding up in reverse.

One other thought... are there any kinks or sharp bends in the cable run from the remote control to the engine? Before taking anything apart, you could try smoothing out the cable run to see if it's something as simple as that.

5 hours ago, Boston said:

the linkage in the cables on engine are at max and can’t adjust anymore.

the throttle is pretty stiff goes all the way forward but only part way back into reverse so slow reverse.

Thanks again 

When you say at "Max", do you mean the cable is at it's longest or shortest?

If the new cable is pretty stiff, you have a routing issue , maybe even find the cable is too short.

Have you checked underneath the throttle unit to make sure nothing is fouling the throttle under there?

The Rev button isn't working? Sorry, you got me there. You shouldn't really be starting in gear either...

31 minutes ago, JonC said:

Isn’t  ‘binnacle’ an odd word? 
Not odd as opposed to even but meaning peculiar. I guess I could of said peculiar to shorten this post and save the environment. 

You could even have said peculiar.

#grammarnazi