"borrowing" a mooring for the day.....

sunday is looking too good to miss, but my crew isnt available, so its solo again - i dont want to anchor alone, as hauling 150m of wet rope, anchor and bouy back to me in strong tide is not something i relish (or could manage), so i intend to borrow a mooring for the day in portland harbour and fish from that - its a well known area for bream, mackerel & bass there - plus a few surprises - benefit of a mooring bouy is i hope i can pick up and let off easily from the wheelhouse.

being sheltered and little tide, i'm hoping to run a loop of line from the bow, back to the wheelhouse so i can do it all from the side of the boat and not need to go up on the foredeck, then quick release to be off - however i've never done it - any pointers? diagrams? or is it a stupid idea?

thanks!

2 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

sunday is looking too good to miss, but my crew isnt available, so its solo again - i dont want to anchor alone, as hauling 150m of wet rope, anchor and bouy back to me in strong tide is not something i relish (or could manage), so i intend to borrow a mooring for the day in portland harbour and fish from that - its a well known area for bream, mackerel & bass there - plus a few surprises - benefit of a mooring bouy is i hope i can pick up and let off easily from the wheelhouse.

being sheltered and little tide, i'm hoping to run a loop of line from the bow, back to the wheelhouse so i can do it all from the side of the boat and not need to go up on the foredeck, then quick release to be off - however i've never done it - any pointers? diagrams? or is it a stupid idea?

thanks!

Not a stupid idea at all. Very sensible to stay in the cockpit if possible. What you're describing is a lazy line. Here's a step by step pdf guide on how to set one up and use it for anchoring. Guessing the same principle would work for a mooring buoy.

https://axeyc.clubmin.net/uploads/456193/public_download

like a bridle? 

maybe i hook up a bridle to the front 2 cleats (red), run it back to the wheelhouse (with some slack) and carribina on another length (Blue) to the mooring, let them both out until sitting right  then pull that other length (Blue) back in when i want to untie?

image.thumb.png.60177a3a6701c869cd598dab48704b56.png

Edited by mike farrants
added a childs drawing

13 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

like a bridle? 

maybe i hook up a bridle to the front 2 cleats (red), run it back to the wheelhouse (with some slack) and carribina on another length (Blue) to the mooring, let them both out until sitting right  then pull that other length (Blue) back in when i want to untie?

Yes thats more like it. Lazy line is good for anchor retrieval (alderney) but you cant adjust the length and you will find once settled in the tide you'll be a fair way from the bouy. What you have drawn is better. But still id be going up front to reduce the length of line still. As your on a bouy chances are you'll be in a sheltered location so the risk of being thrown over by waves is small. But still keep your eyes open and hold tight if needed.

3 hours ago, mike farrants said:

like a bridle? 

I thought it was a snake with its tongue out. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Adam said:

I did it couple of times (2-3 hours each time) but had the rope attached to side of the boat. Guessing it is not a good idea right?

Not generally a good idea to tie off to the side only as it puts a lot of strain on a cleat that wasn't intended to be used that way. The cleat would be taking the full force of the tide broadside to the boat.

58 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Not generally a good idea to tie off to the side only as it puts a lot of strain on a cleat that wasn't intended to be used that way. The cleat would be taking the full force of the tide broadside to the boat.

Yeah, it sounds absolutely right mate. So, next time I will be doing that in a proper way.

• 4 weeks later...

What about a small boat such as, let’s say a Strikeliner. Seen this lazy line before, done something similar with the sib and also used a bridle. 

I’ve got a hatch to stick my head out of - us small boats have all the fun. Basically no matter where I am I’m always on the deck. It’s like a studio flat. 

You have safe access to the bow so a lazy line is less necessary, but you might still find it useful or convenient for mooring as you can use a lazy line from the helm position, whereas you have to leave the helm (and therefore have no control of the boat) when accessing a mooring buoy through the hatch.