quick release mechanism for launching off a trailer

Is there a quick release thingy that people use to 'rapidly' launch their boats off a trailer or does everyone just dunk their trailers and float them off?

I don't want my trailers' wheels getting wet and the last two times I've had to put my boat back onto the mooring I've had the screaming winch thing with the handle spinning furiously as the boat just flies into the water 😅 

There must be a 'thing' that one can attach to the winch eye for a 'bosh' style launch (no champagne here....) 

The closest thing I've seen is a sailing attachment to release a sail which looks pretty decent tbf... one of these  'Wichard Quick Release 110mm HR Snap Shackle'

Get them in different sizes according to need.

Am I the only person that just throws their boat in 😬

4 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Is there a quick release thingy that people use to 'rapidly' launch their boats off a trailer or does everyone just dunk their trailers and float them off?

I don't want my trailers' wheels getting wet and the last two times I've had to put my boat back onto the mooring I've had the screaming winch thing with the handle spinning furiously as the boat just flies into the water 😅 

There must be a 'thing' that one can attach to the winch eye for a 'bosh' style launch (no champagne here....) 

The closest thing I've seen is a sailing attachment to release a sail which looks pretty decent tbf... one of these  'Wichard Quick Release 110mm HR Snap Shackle'

Get them in different sizes according to need.

Am I the only person that just throws their boat in 😬

I use a winch with a 'hand brake' system, and it works really well. Fitted as standard on the Ribcraft Rapide trailers.

One of these ............... https://www.maypoleltd.com/product/mp1432-1454kg-3200lb-professional-hand-winch/

Edited by GPSguru

When I used to have a trailered boat I would release the winch strap completely but have a painter tied onto the trailer so I could reverse hard and slam the brakes for the boat to launch itself off. Just be sure that there’s enough water to not dig the transom in the ground. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I hope you took him fishing with you too?? 

A painter is a rope that is attached to the bow of a dinghy, or other small boat, and used for tying up or towing. Ideally, the painter should float. If used on a boat with a propeller, the length of the painter should be shorter than the distance to the propeller, to prevent fouling the engine. 

There/they’re/their you go-every day’s a school day. 

Are you looking for a solution to release the boat when it's under load/when the trailer is at an angle? I'm not sure the process of trailer launching was ever intended for a rapid style launch. Generally, slow and steady seems to be the way. Too much potential for things to go sideways quickly - boat grounding out, or worse, floating off uncontrolled.

Curious to understand why you don't want your trailer wheels to get wet. When I had a trailer boat I used to beach launch down a ramp and the trailer wheels would often be fully submerged in order to gain enough depth to safely float the boat (and this was with a trailer with rollers and a rear swing arm). The bearings were fully sealed and when I cracked them open after 4 years of beach launches they were absolutely fine.

What about fitting some bearing savers to protect your wheel hubs from saltwater ingress?

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Are you looking for a solution to release the boat when it's under load/when the trailer is at an angle? I'm not sure the process of trailer launching was ever intended for a rapid style launch. Generally, slow and steady seems to be the way. Too much potential for things to go sideways quickly - boat grounding out, or worse, floating off uncontrolled.

Curious to understand why you don't want your trailer wheels to get wet. When I had a trailer boat I used to beach launch down a ramp and the trailer wheels would often be fully submerged in order to gain enough depth to safely float the boat (and this was with a trailer with rollers and a rear swing arm). The bearings were fully sealed and when I cracked them open after 4 years of beach launches they were absolutely fine.

What about fitting some bearing savers to protect your wheel hubs from saltwater ingress?

If he’s launching on a ramp with a decent incline there is minimal risk of grounding, and attaching the painter to the trailer let’s you keep the boat under control. 

20 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I use a winch with a 'hand brake' system, and it works really well. Fitted as standard on the Ribcraft Rapide trailers.

One of these ............... https://www.maypoleltd.com/product/mp1432-1454kg-3200lb-professional-hand-winch/

cheers Ian, worth investigating, thanks 👍

14 hours ago, JonC said:

When I used to have a trailered boat I would release the winch strap completely but have a painter tied onto the trailer so I could reverse hard and slam the brakes for the boat to launch itself off. Just be sure that there’s enough water to not dig the transom in the ground. 

it's gonna roll as soon as it hits the incline, almost zero resistance... but I like the sound of a quick reverse and slamming those anchors on🤣

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

"Are you looking for a solution to release the boat when it's under load/when the trailer is at an angle?"

Yes, exactly that. If rapid style launching was never intended for trailer launching then it blinking well should have been, much more fun 😬

@GPSguru will vouch for the slip at Polly Steps... I'm only ever launching really early doors once a year, no swell or anyone else particularly there (except the jetski tossers (is that pc incorrect?)). 

I'm more concerned about the braking system getting wet with the salty stuff, got sealed bearings... 

I've tossed it in twice rapido syle and it's no drama.

Anyway, I have a solution that I think will work when I do it next year... will film it and post it 😉

11 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

it's gonna roll as soon as it hits the incline, almost zero resistance... but I like the sound of a quick reverse and slamming those anchors on🤣

The slip we use shallows off and I have seen many boats bounce the transom keel on the concrete as they come off. It is worse with roller coaster trailers due to the angle of departure on the rear swinging beam.

A controlled launch works best.

I launch quickly but control the boat speed with the winch brake.

Edited by GPSguru

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The slip we use shallows off and I have seen many boats bounce the transom keel on the concrete as they come off. It is worse with roller coaster trailers due to the angle of departure on the rear swinging beam.

A controlled launch works best.

I launch quickly but control the boat speed with the winch brake.

well maybe that's my solution... 🙂

29 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I'm only ever launching really early doors once a year.

I'm more concerned about the braking system getting wet with the salty stuff, got sealed bearings... 

Ok, so if only launching once a year then all you need to do is launch as normal, then rinse off the brakes/hubs etc after launching. Would be easier & safer to retrofit a brake flushing kit than figure out a speed-launching set up I reckon. 👍