Weds 22nd and Friday the 24th (Lyme bay wrecks)

GPSguru

A good couple of sessions. Well done 👍

If your trailer is galvanized then check before you fit SS bolts to your wobble rollers - I have a vague memory that stainless and galvanized don't play well together. Can't remember where I heard it so I could be wrong but worth a quick google anyhow.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Already drifting the wreck was an Arvor that was identical to @JonC, I thought he had taken a wrong turn as the both crew were fungus faced and very rotund in stature 🤣

🤣 pulling no punches tonight Ian!

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

A good couple of sessions. Well done 👍

If your trailer is galvanized then check before you fit SS bolts to your wobble rollers - I have a vague memory that stainless and galvanized don't play well together. Can't remember where I heard it so I could be wrong but worth a quick google anyhow.

Yes, because Galv (zinc) is higher on the periodic table, so electrolysis over time could be an issue, but with mild steel bolts where the galv wears off will most likely rust a lot quicker than the dissimilar metal issue. However, electrolysis can be limited to an acceptable amount by the use of anti seize compounds (copper grease) or waterproof grease. On the trailer I always use Fuchs Aqua 2 grease which is highly resistant to sea water as it contains a lot of calcium.

A bigger problem is that SS bolts are not as strong, but the forces on this application are purely shear force, so I am thinking it will be ok.

Edit: I have just checked and A4 SS 8mm bolts have a shear capacity of about 850kg. The boat weighs about 1200kg but is supported by 16 wobble roller pivot points, so if we consider the weight distribution to be one third at the bow and two thirds at the stern the average weight on each pivot bolt on the stern wobble rollers (8 pairs) will be roughly 100 kg , I am happy to go with a safety factor of 8 to 1.

Edited by GPSguru