GPS/F/FINDER

mick

Also looking for GPS/Fishfinder.

Want 5 inch minimum, not really bothered about make but would prefer Garmin /Lowrance,

Already have Lowrance 8 pin transducer if needed.

Dont want anything too old

Cheers Mick.

40 minutes ago, mick said:

Also looking for GPS/Fishfinder.

Want 5 inch minimum, not really bothered about make but would prefer Garmin /Lowrance,

Already have Lowrance 8 pin transducer if needed.

Dont want anything too old

Cheers Mick.

I’m in the process of getting a price for Captain slow on a Garmin unit. I can get good discounts direct from a Garmin employee. Once I get the price I’ll let you know. 

Ok, according to my supplier the Garmin Striker plus5cv is a model that is being discontinued to be replaced by something else and is no longer available direct from Garmin . 
However the 79B60DFD-1290-48DD-A0A4-8A1CE157091A.jpeg.aba158beadbee6a7620b4b79788c88cf.jpeg

is still available and with the set up shown in the photo I can get it for £362. 
only down side is it can’t be ordered until the new year as the guy has used up his allowance for 2020. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:26 AM, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, according to my supplier the Garmin Striker plus5cv is a model that is being discontinued to be replaced by something else and is no longer available direct from Garmin . 
However the 79B60DFD-1290-48DD-A0A4-8A1CE157091A.jpeg.aba158beadbee6a7620b4b79788c88cf.jpeg

is still available and with the set up shown in the photo I can get it for £362. 
only down side is it can’t be ordered until the new year as the guy has used up his allowance for 2020. 

Can you get this in 5in and can I update maps.

Cheers Mick.

3 minutes ago, mick said:

just bought a XS500 rib and have not got a lot of room on console,

5-5 i/2 in is really about as big as can go,

but dont want to go too small that I cant read it.

Cheers Mick.

Can you stick a 7” on a bracket rather than flush mount?

Striker in no a proper gps plotter I would need gpsmap as it accepts an sd card but they only do 6.5 or 4in, I want one in middle.

so am looking at Lowrance,

Not sure about Raymarine as never had one or seen one working.

Garmin come with maps and no transducer, Lowrance come with transducer but no maps,I allready have Lowrance transducer.

Raymarine come with both transducer and maps.

After buying boat not much money left and so much still to buy.

Depending on what model of Lowrance you go for, you can often buy them without the transducer.

Also, bear in mind that many of the newer Lowrance units no longer have the blue socket in the back to take the older transducers with the blue 7-pin plug, so depending on the age and model of your existing transducer it may or may not fit. They've mostly changed to use the 9 pin black XSonic plug now. You can get a 7-pin to 9-pin adaptor cable, but it's an extra expense.

• 4 months later...

Re visiting this thread.  I’m considering getting a small gps plotter.  5 inch sounds about right and I have some room up in cuddy roof (console full).  

Currently have a Garmin Dakota handheld with C-map charts, however, my eyes can’t cope with the little screen on a moving boat.  I did see someone on another forum selling a Garmin GPS map 451 which might have done okay.  I don’t really need the sounder element just want a chart displayed so I can read it.

Anyone got anything they are not using that they are considering moving on?  I’m likely to be looking at the poverty spec / older models as funds are limited.  

Cheers.   

29 minutes ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

Re visiting this thread.  I’m considering getting a small gps plotter.  5 inch sounds about right and I have some room up in cuddy roof (console full).  

Currently have a Garmin Dakota handheld with C-map charts, however, my eyes can’t cope with the little screen on a moving boat.  I did see someone on another forum selling a Garmin GPS map 451 which might have done okay.  I don’t really need the sounder element just want a chart displayed so I can read it.

Anyone got anything they are not using that they are considering moving on?  I’m likely to be looking at the poverty spec / older models as funds are limited.  

Cheers.   

Navionics on a tablet. 

Thanks to a Windows 10 update my Samsung got fried!  So no tablet anymore.   Think by the time I bought a tablet, Navionics yearly sub, waterproof housing.....  might be better to go for a secondhand chartplotter.   Worth thinking about so thanks for thoughts on this JonC

Well, I did take a look at a few of the base units and it may come to a new one.   I don’t really need the dogs danglies here, they seem to have a lot of features and fish finder bits I don’t need.   JonC is near the mark with a gps enabled tablet and a navionics app.   

Just throwing it out there incase anyone has anything surplus to requirements.  Don’t need transducer etc but would be nice to have charts included.   Most likely dreaming as I’m in the £150 max area.  No rush so mind or budget might change.  

1 hour ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

the truble with old units ( fish fider / sat ) is the backlight gose and its only fit for the bin.

Ive never had a backlight go on any unit, what models are you talking about ? 

I have a Lowrance HDS 5 which I was keeping incase I ever needed a backup. Not sure what the postage would be or how long it might take to in the post but I can look into it if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I dont have any UK visitors heading over for a while or I could of asked someone to take it back over.