Spur dog.

So with winter well and truly here, and cod short on the ground I suppose spurs will be the next target species?? 
So if I remember correctly @Scotch_Egg2012 is a well informed member who knows how and when to catch them. This is a species I've never seen, so come on Scott, spill the beans!! 

Think we get them pretty much all year here - I had my first (and PB) early June, we had a few to the boat to 18lb - but heard of one caught recently - not sure of the season for these = would be good to know.

same as tope fishing really - I used a 100lb flowing trace, Mackerel fillet, 80+ft water over the banks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:54 AM, Saintly Fish said:

So with winter well and truly here, and cod short on the ground I suppose spurs will be the next target species?? 
So if I remember correctly @Scotch_Egg2012 is a well informed member who knows how and when to catch them. This is a species I've never seen, so come on Scott, spill the beans!! 

Sorry I've not replied earlier,  pretty well summed up in Luke's Post.  Head for marks 80ft and over,  now til mid Feb is the time round here. 

Needles end did a lot better than Nab end last season.  I don't know many marks Needles end but I liked the look of the Hockey stick and the gulley just to the north.  There were some proper ones caught last season that end, 25lb'ers showed up quite frequently. 

I'll be chasing them Nab end this year,  Spoils, Cuba, Overfalls will be where I head if the damned wind allows.  Wanted to get to the Spoils Saturday but the forecast was to iffy

I’ve found that you may need to move around as they move in packs. Once you get one it’s easy to catch a lot more! 

Not the best fighting fish in the world but put a bend in the rod 🙂