Yamaha f 90

Stepdad had an F80 on his Ribeye rib. Can't remember what model year it was - would have been circa 2010-2012. Was fine when he had it. When I drove it it seemed smooth enough. What model year are you thinking of getting?

On 4/8/2022 at 11:24 AM, JDP said:

Anyone got one or had any experience on boats with them ? considering replacing the honda 90.

987719534_ScreenShot2022-04-08at8_18_57pm.png.627507343737d6f4a189fe42a9163110.png

TBH, I have not heard a bad word against Yam engines for a few years now, so I guess they must be fine. A lot of commercials use them around here.

Edited by GPSguru

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

TBH, I have not heard a bad word against Yam engines for a few years now, so I guess they must be fine. A lot of commercials use them around here.

Are any of the units from the main manufacturers known to be problematic- modern ones I mean? 
They’ve had a while to get them right now so surely it’s just the odd poorly maintained one that’s bad? 

24 minutes ago, JonC said:

Are any of the units from the main manufacturers known to be problematic- modern ones I mean? 
They’ve had a while to get them right now so surely it’s just the odd poorly maintained one that’s bad? 

I guess you are right, all the main brands are reliable engines these days.

I think the move into 4 stroke technology and improvements in manufacturing (mimicking the automotive industry) was a game changer in outboard reliability.

They've up the displacement and dropped the weight, improved economy increased midrange torque with the Yamaha.

The honda is ok but jumps in fuel use above 4250rpm and drops my range by 1/3. At 4500-5000rpm its great but this adds to much fuel for the remote trips where I need to take extra fuel drums. 

Fuel use will be very boat dependant tho Jon, I guess you would need to compare hondas quoted figures to your real world figures, then apply same percentages to the yamaha quoted fuel useage figures and you may get a better idea of what to expect....

17 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Fuel use will be very boat dependant tho Jon, I guess you would need to compare hondas quoted figures to your real world figures, then apply same percentages to the yamaha quoted fuel useage figures and you may get a better idea of what to expect....

Yamaha and suzuki have full test bulletins with various boat and engine setups https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/discover/outboard-tech/performance-data, unfortunately Honda don't. What I have found from various reports is how the vtec dramatically increases fuel after 4250rpm which is what Im finding. Ive had these same hulls before, first with a 90 merc 2 stroke then a yam f70 and now the Honda. The Honda up to 4250rpm wins hands down in terms of fuel range but above that its about the same as the old mercury.

A friend bought a new boat with the Yam f90 at Xmas but has only managed to get a short river trip so far this year with the crazy weather. Its only that secondhand values are high and new prices haven't really changed that much.