Trailer Wheels

Normally the only external part of a trailer that is not galvanized and gets dunked in the sea !

Unfortunately, trailer wheels in general are quite poorly finished from new, normally with one thin coat of cheap paint. My wheels are now 3 years old and have been dunked in the sea about 250 times, so they were getting to be more rusty than the average Land Rover. In the past, we would just buy a new pair of rims and tyres, but they are now a lot more expensive than in the past.

We have a guy locally who specializes in alloy wheel referb, and he did a super job of the Jeep wheels, which he powder coated, and the finish was superb.

I took the trailer wheels to him, and he was happy to powder coat them silver, however, his process was going to be, shot blast, acid dip, soda blast, 3 coats of zinc paint, and then a high build silver powder coat ........... and the cost was less than new wheels.

I picked them up today, and he has done a super job, also I feel confident that they will last a lot longer before the rust appears again.

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.a45e363ea10251f5bb0cb1726f69a272.JPG

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Be interested to hear how they get on in 12 months time - hopefully they'll still look like that.

I hope so Andy, the Jeep wheels were done 2 years ago, and they are still like brand new.

I posted the info as an option for other trailer users to think about 🙂

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Although they do build ferries out of ally......

Yes, but it is not the same alloy content as Alloy wheels. Plenty of ally boats around here, and they seem quite tough

Ordinary road salt eats alloy wheels, which was the problem with the jeep. The OEM wheels were polished alloy and then clear coated.  When they were about 10 years old, the road salt was creeping under the clear coat and pitting the alloy.

If I could get alloy wheels made of the same ally that they build boats from, then yes, I would certainly have considered that option.