Rod rebuild update (GX2)

I have repaired my GX2 boat rods, one tip and one intermediate ring that were damaged by my handling and I'm quite pleased at the result. 

The GX2 kayak rods have got me a little annoyed. This is the state of the first three rings...

20220526_160322.thumb.jpg.cfb6a481c6634cd0bf08fb55c880e238.jpg

The corrosion on the legs and rings are despite my washing down with fresh water after use 90% of the time despite this and a load of epoxy sealant the feet are also corroding badly. This is 6 years of use and although I am investing time and a little money in repair I think it is shocking that they use such poor parts. 

On the flip side I am able to find the spine and get the best from them. 

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

I have repaired my GX2 boat rods, one tip and one intermediate ring that were damaged by my handling and I'm quite pleased at the result. 

The GX2 kayak rods have got me a little annoyed. This is the state of the first three rings...

20220526_160322.thumb.jpg.cfb6a481c6634cd0bf08fb55c880e238.jpg

The corrosion on the legs and rings are despite my washing down with fresh water after use 90% of the time despite this and a load of epoxy sealant the feet are also corroding badly. This is 6 years of use and although I am investing time and a little money in repair I think it is shocking that they use such poor parts. 

On the flip side I am able to find the spine and get the best from them. 

Well they are built to a budget Malc. If better components were utilised they would cost more to buy!

22 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well they are built to a budget Malc. If better components were utilised they would cost more to buy!

Indeed, however they were the first new rods I had bought in 35+ years so they seemed to be expensive 😅 

I still have a carp/pike rod from woolies I bought in 78 and still here although on its 3rd set of rings, now that is a bargain 😀 

13 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Getting 6 years out of anything made by shakyspear, is very good going !

Most of it is entry level that people grow out of or they give up although the uglys have a good following. 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

Most of it is entry level that people grow out of or they give up although the uglys have a good following. 

The blanks are great. The ones I had re built for Leo are in prime nick (apart from the squid juice stains)'

24 minutes ago, JonC said:

Agree, but with regard to quality, the rods retail at £50, so the tackle shop is buying them from pure fishing ( they own the shaky brand) for about £28. 

Therefore pure fishing are buying them from china at about £10 - £12 a rod !

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Agree, but with regard to quality, the rods retail at £50, so the tackle shop is buying them from pure fishing ( they own the shaky brand) for about £28. 

Therefore pure fishing are buying them from china at about £10 - £12 a rod !

Who cares how much they are bought for from the Chinese 🤷🏻‍♂️. The fact is, even after a few years abuse and a new set of rings the blanks are really good.. 

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Who cares how much they are bought for from the Chinese 🤷🏻‍♂️. The fact is, even after a few years abuse and a new set of rings the blanks are really good.. 

yes, I don't disagree, the blank will be fine, it is the fittings where the money is saved during manufacture.

I have some tronix rods that are in the same ballpark, the blanks are excellent but you are never going to find top of the range fuji rings and reel seats on them.

Good work Malc. Those rings have had it. What rings are you putting back on?

When the time comes to replace the rings on my GX2's I might be tempted to go full Fuji and hopefully won't have to do them again.