Estuary Bass Fishing

GPSguru

ย 

Unusual to find me in here ! ๐Ÿ™„

I have been fishing an estuary in the South Hams for the past week. The estuary is one of only 2 in the country that are privately owned as part of an estate. I have known the estate owners and the water baliff all my life, and we are often asked if we want to stay at one particular waterside cottage when they have cancellations, so it usually costs me zilch.

This time we stayed over for a couple of days, and travelled (35min drive) the remainder of the week as we had quite a bit of important stuff to do, but I did manage to catch at least one tide per day and the result was 83 Bass, with the biggest going 61cm (about 5.5lb), but at least 75% were over 42cm (2lb ish). I just usually keep the deep hooked fish, and this week we have lived mainly on Bass for our evening meals.

Here, the only way is worm or sandeel, with just enough weight that it gets dragged along in the tide. I went through 5lb of freshly dug rag, so quite expensive on bait ! ........... great fun using a Greys prodigy 2.75lb carp rod and 3oz of lead.

Usually we try to use this location in the Autumn when the Bass fishing is prolific and there are also a few Giltheads about, however, beggars cant be choosers, and I knew that lettuce weed would be an issue this time of the year.

To try and combat the lettuce weed issue I was using 28lb braid with a very short 28lb Amnesia leader, which was tied to the braid using a PR boobin knot which is very slimline so as not to attract leader knot weed.

The rigs were simple, a 3oz flat lead running on the line, stopped by a rubber buffer bead and size 4 swivel. The hook length was 20lb Sakuma FC and the hook a tiny Sakuma Size 1ย  560 Stinger (strong Aberdeen style).

When you are wading, photos are difficult, and I tend not to wade with my phone !

However, my son took a video from his DJI drone, which shows bothย  Kyle and me out on the centre sand bank on the ebbing tide. The fish were congregating on the far bank of the main channel, so it needed a 130yrd cast to be in the money.

ย 

Edited by GPSguru

15 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I've looked this up, and can't find any relevant information. Sounds intriguing though!!ย 

It's an old West Country custom where they parade through their villages with the first of the year's lettuces stuffed down their trousers. If you can last the week without taking out your lettuce you're crowned Lettuce King (or Queen) and you get to keep your lettuce for tea.

Edited to add, here'sย some further info for those who are keen on lettuces:ย https://bit.ly/lettuceweek

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

ย a nice video of a beautiful spot for a dangle. Plenty of bass in wonderful surroundings - surely this is fishing nirvana?!ย ๐Ÿ‘

Yes, but I still prefer boat fishing, all this wading and casting wears me out ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ™„