Catch report/vest review

Bones

The weather has been mank down my end for weeks and I've been chomping at the bit to get out. So when the forecast predicted some "comfortable" weather, I skived off work, lied to my bird and made a day of it.

A beautiful crisp morning saw me rubbing my hands together alot and jumping up and down every now and then until the first fish which fancied a p100 for breakfast. Only a small one but beating the blank early on is always a treat, relieves a bit of tension and helps me enjoy my fishing alot more.

9 hours later, 5 fish landed and 2 lost. Quite slow going but nice and spread out over the day. The fish in the photos went 55ish and the better one was just short of 60. man of the match was the khaki gravity stick with the paddle tail again. This is proving to be a good replacement for the fiish black minnow for me. Works shallower and picks up far less debris. 

PATAGONIA HYBRID PACK VEST

Now I dont spend alot of money on ANYTHING and at 75 quid, this is the most expensive piece of fishing gear that I own. It's a massive upgrade from my previous rig which was a couple of old army style bags bodged together with a belt that I found but I needed something that sat higher for when wading and enough space for everything I would need for a day. Few lures, minimal bits of tackle, jacket and a bit of scoff. it does all that and seems robust enough to last a while. What was really nice was having the weight distributed evenly over both shoulders and made for a easier 9 hours. One thing I would say is my last set up had somewhere to put my rod when I needed two hands free, this hasn't and stuffing the butt end into my waders is a proper pain in the arse and awkward. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading 

20201105_152447.jpg

20201105_152344.jpg

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice report , thanks for sharing. 
BTW was that nudist sunbathers you pixilated out to save their modesty ?

Eastney has a nudist beach which can be a laugh. Never seen anyone fishing in the nude though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, Bones said:

The weather has been mank down my end for weeks and I've been chomping at the bit to get out. So when the forecast predicted some "comfortable" weather, I skived off work, lied to my bird and made a day of it.

A beautiful crisp morning saw me rubbing my hands together alot and jumping up and down every now and then until the first fish which fancied a p100 for breakfast. Only a small one but beating the blank early on is always a treat, relieves a bit of tension and helps me enjoy my fishing alot more.

9 hours later, 5 fish landed and 2 lost. Quite slow going but nice and spread out over the day. The fish in the photos went 55ish and the better one was just short of 60. man of the match was the khaki gravity stick with the paddle tail again. This is proving to be a good replacement for the fiish black minnow for me. Works shallower and picks up far less debris. 

PATAGONIA HYBRID PACK VEST

One thing I would say is my last set up had somewhere to put my rod when I needed two hands free, this hasn't and stuffing the butt end into my waders is a proper pain in the arse and awkward. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daiwa-15800-005-Fishing-Belt-Black/dp/B007S11KRG/ref=asc_df_B007S11KRG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205171266866&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3138711706702444341&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046120&hvtargid=pla-358352399003&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Ben at the Art of fishing used to sell a good compact belt holder , it might be worth giving him a shout .

15 hours ago, Davemc said:

Well done Bones , I know those spots well 😜

Keep us informed on the vest with another long term review in the future .

Cheers Dave. The area is no secret but word travels fast and all it takes is for one person to put a video up on YouTube and the marks get smashed. I think one of the biggest tricks in this area is to find the spots with very little angling pressure. 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Is your season at an end now too @Bones
@Tadpole says he’s hung up his spurs for the winter. Do you do normal beach fishing too or just bass stalking?

I'm definitely coming to a close. All my gear has been cleaned and put away for the foreseeable but if some good conditions show up between now and December I'll have a go. I filled a whole note pad with blanks last winter haha.

I dont bait fish. it costs too much and its hard to get through the whiting in Portsmouth.