15th July - Another nice morning to be fishing.

GPSguru

11 hours ago, JDP said:

Frigg me that's some sort of clutter around that wreck, I would of headed to another. Would all that gear be legal.

Yes, all the gear is legal and was marked with the commercial boat ID numbers. 

At the moment moving onto the next wreck will just paint a similar picture.

I will wait for the commercial fleet maffia to sort it out, because I know that the commercial under 10m line caught boats are very unhappy about it.

Nice report GPS. 

It really is a big issue now with the gear on everything. I went out on wed and its thick with gear on every mark up to 30miles. 

I now tie up to one buoy and then take it round and round in circles for 10mins or so. I leave it with all the bouys heaped together.

Twice ive been out lately and its been upsetting after 200-250 pound fuel bill each time. 

maybe i shall start towing the gear off the wrecks again.

Edited by fishybuisness

On 7/16/2022 at 1:12 PM, GPSguru said:

Yes, all the gear is legal and was marked with the commercial boat ID numbers. 

At the moment moving onto the next wreck will just paint a similar picture.

I will wait for the commercial fleet maffia to sort it out, because I know that the commercial under 10m line caught boats are very unhappy about it.

It’s irritating about the nets but if they’re all legal then it’s just one of them things you have to suck up. Whatever we think about it we are only playing at it, the guys who set the nets are doing it for real. 

22 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s irritating about the nets but if they’re all legal then it’s just one of them things you have to suck up. Whatever we think about it we are only playing at it, the guys who set the nets are doing it for real. 

That is usually my way of thinking, but the there needs to be a bit of give and take on both sides. Right now that just isn't happening. Also the line caught commercials need to make living and currently their ability to do that is severely compromised.

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is usually my way of thinking, but the there needs to be a bit of give and take on both sides. Right now that just isn't happening. Also the line caught commercials need to make living and currently their ability to do that is severely compromised.

Are the nets from the same boat though? Maybe they are from several boats that just all happen to be working the areas. 
The problem lies with the organisation that controls (or not) the fisheries. 

28 minutes ago, JonC said:

Are the nets from the same boat though? Maybe they are from several boats that just all happen to be working the areas. 
The problem lies with the organisation that controls (or not) the fisheries. 

There is no organisation of the local fishing fleets, it is a free for all, with competition between the 6 ports that the under 10m fleet operate from.

40 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

There is no organisation of the local fishing fleets, it is a free for all, with competition between the 6 ports that the under 10m fleet operate from.

I won’t pretend to have any knowledge of the commercial fishing license system. 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

I won’t pretend to have any knowledge of the commercial fishing license system. 

It is a bit like the mafia without guns 🙄👍🤷‍♂️

I can pretty much guarantee that if I dropped my 2 pots ( correctly marked) anywhere along our coast here, they would disappear within 2 days. The longest they lasted was 5 day when I fitted a dummy GPS tracker to a flagged and buoyed dhan buoy.