White fish recipes

Odyssey

So it’s time I started eating my stock of pollack but before the in-laws find it and eat it all before me! 

any good recipes for pollack/cod? Obviously I’ll have to knock up some beer batter at least once, a bit of pan frying with home grown spuds is on the cards.

Any good fish curries? I’ve not had much success as find it can be a bit flaky, anything else to try? 

Im trying to lose a few pounds (should be easy now it’s maintenance time but it’s the lbs not the ££ I want to lose!) so some healthy ideas welcomed 🙂 

19 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Looks good! One to try but have to get rid of that broccoli…. Horrible stuff… only use is as a tree on a kids model railway set! 

Tenderstem is different from regular "tree" broccoli. It's much nicer and, unsurprisingly, more tender. Tastes fresher and not at all like a brassica.

7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

So it’s time I started eating my stock of pollack but before the in-laws find it and eat it all before me! 

any good recipes for pollack/cod? Obviously I’ll have to knock up some beer batter at least once, a bit of pan frying with home grown spuds is on the cards.

Any good fish curries? I’ve not had much success as find it can be a bit flaky, anything else to try? 

Im trying to lose a few pounds (should be easy now it’s maintenance time but it’s the lbs not the ££ I want to lose!) so some healthy ideas welcomed 🙂 

Generally, Pollock is better if you take the skin off.

If you leave it on, then always cook it skin side down.

I like Bass done whole in tin foil in the oven, but the inside of the fish stuffed with tomatoes, onions, a little garlic, and some finely chopped orange and red peppers.

Fried bass fillets are nice when served with a fried pepper/ onion salsa

We tend to panko breadcrumb Cod, rather than batter.

Traditional Plaice half fillets are always panko'ed and cooked as goujons

Butterfly plaice fillets are either fried naked, or sometimes Panko'ed

Pollock is good in Thai green curry (and possibly red too), you can use the packet variety or jar. Marinade the chunky neck ends in some of the sauce then stat preparing the peppers or whatever veg you like. Fry the veg first, add the sauce for 5 minutes and add the coconut milk, as the sauce thickens lay the chunks of fish on the veg and put a lid on. After 2 minutes of low heat spoon some sauce over the fish, do it again and if it looks a bit firm or the chunks are big, have a third 2 minute steam.

When serving I put the chunks on a separate warm plate then plate up the rice or noodles, spoon on half/three quarters the veg and sauce, then the fish and finally the rest of the sauce and veg. Coriander and fresh lime to garnish.